Question regarding measuring oil level

omatza

I know that bikes with oil inside the frame you measure the oil differently then with bikes with oil in the carter, at the bottom of the bike.
In one kind you measure oil level when it is hot and one when it is cold,

which kind you measure hot and which kind cold, and why ??

Do you measure the oil level on your bike when it is hot, or cold ?

Thanks in advance
omatza

D

Deleted member 452

Oil isn't in the frame on the 390 like many old air/oil-cooled dry sumped dirt bikes- It's all inside the engine. There are specific instructions on how and when to measure your oil level in the manual.

uberRC

Do you measure the oil level on your bike when it is hot, or cold ?

In the Owner's Manual for an RC390 sold in the USA, it clearly states oil level is verified following a HOT shut down. Bike is straight up, not resting on side stand.

Last edited:

stevieboy

Country flag
Back when I was a 'beginner' I was eager to learn everything I could about the bike. Still am. That's one of the hardest things about buying a bike like my Derbi GPR-trying to find an owners manual. Ah, this new age!

omatza

I think you would benefit from reading the owners manual...

https://ownersmanuals2.com/ktm/rc-390-co-2016-owner-s-manual-71832

Hi
Thanks for the info.

Still, there is a reason why I ask how much YOU guys, put in!
In my owners manual it say 1.6L, but I found out that I had to put 2.0L till the upper line, so I was worried that something is not right.

Now, can you tell me how much you put, (if you do this on your own and know the answer) ?

Thanks
Omatza

uberRC

Omatza, I've done several oil changes on our 2016 because I've been a bit concerned about all the garbage I see when the oil is drained from the engine. I haven't used a full 2 liter amount when refilling. Again, I'm checking the oil level when the engine is hot and the bike is straight, not resting on the side stand.

I tend to top off over time to get it to the FULL mark without over-filling.

D

Deleted member 452

Hi
Thanks for the info.

Still, there is a reason why I ask how much YOU guys, put in!
In my owners manual it say 1.6L, but I found out that I had to put 2.0L till the upper line, so I was worried that something is not right.

Now, can you tell me how much you put, (if you do this on your own and know the answer) ?

Thanks
Omatza

My manual say it takes 1.7L (1.8 qt.) so I don't know where you came up with 1.6L. It also shows full when I use this amount and check the level using the instructions listed in the manual so you're doing something wrong...