R6 shock upgrade (pease post your experience)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So chevaliernoir, keep in mind that you also have a 15-16 model year bike. Riders on a 17+ model year have the updated side exit stock exhaust, so clearances changed for them.

The chief issue with an R6 shock on the RC at the track is there isn't quite enough damping. I've got a 97-98 R1 shock on it's way and I'm going to test out how that does. It may be that the R1 has better valving it in and more adjustment range such that it could be a better candidate for track duty. Primarily, the R6 shock swap was pretty much intended as a cheap method of getting something on the bike that wasn't as fucking terrifying as the stock RC shock is. The stock shock just scared the crap out of me, even on the street, and at the time there were NO other options available... I needed a shock for ME, and open sourced it to everyone else as well.

The R1 shock might be a good option for the next round of folks... as we've certainly at this point "burned up" a vast majority of good R6 shocks out there. My suppliers have all but stopped returning my emails with my asking if they have any good shocks in inventory... so at this point I've pretty much given up on finding any quality R6 shocks. The last 3 times I purchased a supply of them, none of them met the quality standards I have for a "no rebuild" option. With the 97-98 R1 shock showing potential, that may be just what the community can use at this point.

The big problem most face these days also is the reservoir is in the way for the stock exhaust for 17+ bikes. I may get some exhaust sections made up that would allow riders to swap out the CAT and resonance chamber, which would then allow riders with the stock exhaust to still use an R6 (or possibly the R1) shock. I do like the R1 in regards to the ride height with the +10mm length, tho some of the shorter riders / inseam challenged, may find that aspect of the R1 shock to be problematic.

spoolnaround

Country flag
Yes my bike is a 17. This was my thought as well, new header pipe with cat delete. To think about it I don’t remember if it is the reaonator or the cat that was in the way. My bottom line is I need exhaust to begin with as this thing is so quiet I am having a hard time with gear selection but I need to do something pretty soon if I want to do more track days. I am with you on the scary stock suspension, this weekend was a blast but wow I really need to put my suspension in.

So chevaliernoir, keep in mind that you also have a 15-16 model year bike. Riders on a 17+ model year have the updated side exit stock exhaust, so clearances changed for them.

The chief issue with an R6 shock on the RC at the track is there isn't quite enough damping. I've got a 97-98 R1 shock on it's way and I'm going to test out how that does. It may be that the R1 has better valving it in and more adjustment range such that it could be a better candidate for track duty. Primarily, the R6 shock swap was pretty much intended as a cheap method of getting something on the bike that wasn't as fucking terrifying as the stock RC shock is. The stock shock just scared the crap out of me, even on the street, and at the time there were NO other options available... I needed a shock for ME, and open sourced it to everyone else as well.

The R1 shock might be a good option for the next round of folks... as we've certainly at this point "burned up" a vast majority of good R6 shocks out there. My suppliers have all but stopped returning my emails with my asking if they have any good shocks in inventory... so at this point I've pretty much given up on finding any quality R6 shocks. The last 3 times I purchased a supply of them, none of them met the quality standards I have for a "no rebuild" option. With the 97-98 R1 shock showing potential, that may be just what the community can use at this point.

The big problem most face these days also is the reservoir is in the way for the stock exhaust for 17+ bikes. I may get some exhaust sections made up that would allow riders to swap out the CAT and resonance chamber, which would then allow riders with the stock exhaust to still use an R6 (or possibly the R1) shock. I do like the R1 in regards to the ride height with the +10mm length, tho some of the shorter riders / inseam challenged, may find that aspect of the R1 shock to be problematic.

m3hl

Country flag
I have a 16 and the shock with the formula390 kit worke amazing. massive improvement. I bought 2 shock bodies and brought the spare with me. would recommend.

spoolnaround

Country flag
Ok on the 17 the res bits the expansion pipe! I actually took a pic when I was attempting to install, now if i can figure out how to post I will.

Falkon45

Country flag
Just ordered an R6 shock. I'm guessing it's in good condition. If not, I'll send it to race tech or rg3 for rebuild.

Hello.
I'm using R6 shock. As I don't have anymore the stock airbox, I'm thinking to turn the shock header by 180% in order to have the piggy back at the top side instead of bottom (close to exhaust line)
I can of course try it, but on the shock hydraulic point of view, is it acceptable? (I imagine yes because it's pressurize and does not use gravity, but...

Last edited:

SnotRkt

Just ordered an R6 shock. I'm guessing it's in good condition. If not, I'll send it to race tech or rg3 for rebuild.

I was informed that the stock R6 shocks are not rebuildable and even it was, it would get close to what a shock built for your bike would cost...

I can confirm that R6 shocks are re-buildable. My old suspension guy, Evan Steel from ESP in Tucson, re-built two of my R6 shocks and they came back absolutely perfect.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
OK, but how much was the rebuild?

So the labor is going to likely come in around $100-$150. There are additional pieces that are required to do the rebuild however. A new primary seal, bladder ,and reservoir end cap.

These parts, plus the labor ,basically is vastly more than the cost of an additional core ,or two ,so I've been recommending to people to NOT rebuild the R6 core and IF the shock starts to fail ,transfer the parts from one shock to the other.

If you are RACING and want to use the R6 shock ,then it might be worth a rebuild ,simply to avoid a possible issue which might result in a DNF, but honestly the R6 shock just isn't a great fit for racing applications and you'd be better served getting the JRi. That's just my opinion tho. Everyone has to decide for themselves. $0.02.

John390

I had my R6 shock rebuilt locally. It came with a rotted away bump stop, and it had to fully come apart in order to put a new bump stop on.

Cost of the full rebuild and the used shock itself was still quite a bit cheaper than the next cheapest setup.

I am still on the stock R6 spring too. I have parts for the front but haven't done it yet. Its almost a good balance front to rear now, at least for me, a new rider.

Honestly if I could add an inch of preload to the front and put in thicker fork oil, I think it might be just dandy for the local roads around here.

Falkon45

Country flag
Going back to the R6 rebuild, I was quoted about $250 for rebuild with new coatings. I was also going to throw in a valve kit. So, about $400 in all, I think. Still less than an actual race shock, but, if you throw in the spring (I still have the R6 spring), then it gets more expensive. Also, I was told the zx7r shock wasn't rebuildable. They are, also.