RC 390 Airbox mod / KTM factory remap

Benja Man

Hello all,

2 topics:

1.) I have read folks alluding of an airbox mod for the RC 390 going around online but have not seen or read any specifics on this. Does anyone have any enlightenment for me on this?

2.) I currently am running a K&N filter with the Competition Werkes Can with some difficulties. The bike is running extremely lean with multiple "lag" zones and tons of popping and backfiring. Disappointingly the exhaust manufacturer does not have any available remaps. The PC-V would be the simplest answer but the club-series racing I pursue does not allow electronic add-ons for this machine in that bracket. Werkes suggested using one of the Factory KTM RC 390 Cup bike / Akro remaps but my local dealer indicated that the remaps from the factory weren't designated as such but simply with a number. Does anyone know what KTM factory remap "number" to use with the aforementioned setup or had success with any particular remaps with other free-flowing exhaust systems?

Thankyou for your assistance!

green_bread

Country flag
The aibox mod they are referring to is probably just removing the lid. cjwell also provides an airbox mod with his engine kit, but I cannot give out the details on that one. You will have to contact him about it.

The Akra map might help a little bit, but I doubt that its going to be enough extra fuel to get your bike where it wants to be, especially if you try and remove the airbox lid, as well.

Last edited:

zaster

Country flag
Any performance aftermarket air filter will make the bike even leaner (more air and the same amount of fuel)
A PCV made by DynoJet in conjunction with the K&N filter will fix your problem.

I have the BMC filter, Yoshimura pipes with the PCV including the autotune module and it runs flawless.

DukeMaster

Any performance aftermarket air filter will make the bike even leaner (more air and the same amount of fuel)
A PCV made by DynoJet in conjunction with the K&N filter will fix your problem.

I have the BMC filter, Yoshimura pipes with the PCV including the autotune module and it runs flawless.

Would you mind posting the map you made with autotune here. Id like to take a look at it.

Thanks.

Benja Man

@green_bread / @CDN duke / @zaster

You want this factory flash for the Akra map: KM902EU1419031

CDN duke: Awesome,Thankyou!

green_bread : Do you have any video's referencing the airbox top mod? Is it simply leaving it off? Or adding breathing ports?

zaster: As I stated earlier the club series I pursue did not allow PCV for the RC390. Fortunately, those rules have very recently changed to allow them so my long term goal will be the PCV with Auto-tune. But there are still some brackets that do not allow it so I would like a solution for both. Thankyou for your input on the PCV

nhenneman

IMG_0536.JPGIMG_0534.jpgIMG_0535.JPG
Not the greatest photos, but did this yesterday. Very easy to do. Remove airbox lid, take off screws on it, and separate the two halves. Then screw base back on over airfilter to keep it in place.

green_bread

Country flag

cornerslider

Hello all,

2 topics:

1.) I have read folks alluding of an airbox mod for the RC 390 going around online but have not seen or read any specifics on this. Does anyone have any enlightenment for me on this?

2.) I currently am running a K&N filter with the Competition Werkes Can with some difficulties. The bike is running extremely lean with multiple "lag" zones and tons of popping and backfiring. Disappointingly the exhaust manufacturer does not have any available remaps. The PC-V would be the simplest answer but the club-series racing I pursue does not allow electronic add-ons for this machine in that bracket. Werkes suggested using one of the Factory KTM RC 390 Cup bike / Akro remaps but my local dealer indicated that the remaps from the factory weren't designated as such but simply with a number. Does anyone know what KTM factory remap "number" to use with the aforementioned setup or had success with any particular remaps with other free-flowing exhaust systems?

Thankyou for your assistance!

If your club won't allow the "electronic add-ons", I would do the following:
-Ditch the Werkes exhaust
-Get the Akropovic exhaust
-Contact Chad Wells at KTM performance about "flashing" your ECU with the the Akropovic map

Chad is the site "guru" on all things RC390, and will definitely point you in the right direction :cool:

shreeshar7

Not the best way to do it, you can add a suitable value resistance to the o2 sensor to make ecu to think its running too lean and richen up the mixture a bit.

Kuroneko3

If you are interested, I have an MNNTHBX open filter cover for sale. I can't run it in my race series and it came on the bike. Practically brand new. Black

PM me if you are interested. There is a picture of it on my FS thread.

=maz=

Country flag
Last change I made to the bike was the airbox mod. The bike runs pretty damn lean right outta the box when you start putting pipes and high flow airfilters on the machine...PC5 and a custom Dyno Tune is what you really need or a flash of the ECU to get the fueling right or risk detonation of the indian hand-grenade. LOL