Rearset gear rose joint worn out after 5,300 miles! :-)

Maddog Reynolds

I can see what happened. Rose joints weren't lub'd from new. In the same way that footpegs weren't lub'd, gearbox output shaft splines weren't lub'd, things I did as I got to know the bike.

On a year-round road bike, is it worth changing just the rose joints for better ones, do you think?

Opinions, please :)

Diploman

I'm guessing that the "Rose joint" you are describing is in fact the heim joint(s) on the shift rod leading to the gear change arm. ("Rose joint", to the best of my knowledge, is not a common or current term in the lexicon of automotive technology on this side of the pond.) Like the fasteners that adorn the 390 all over, the shift rod joints are low-bidder items selected out of cost-cutting zeal. They work, mostly, but could benefit considerably from upgrades. Many 390 owners, in fact, have undertaken to upgrade their bike's fasteners progressively as they do maintenance and modding. Better heim joints would certainly be a good idea. They are not expensive, and I would suggest fitting the type that has factory pre-lube with seals to keep lube in, dirt out.

One of my colleagues on the Duke forum sent me a set of grade 10.9 button washer head allen bolts to replace the low-budget pot-metal Phillips head screws that affix the bike's body panels. Much better!!

Maddog Reynolds

OK, I've done some homework. It seems to have started in Germany as a Heim joint and "Rose joint" is named after Rose Bearings Ltd who made it in UK. Like saying "Hoover" for vacuum cleaner. In UK I usually hear it called a Rose joint, or occasionally a rod-end bearing. Reminds me of "Allen key" :)

Anyway, that's the problem part. The standard rearsets fit me well (for a road bike), so I'll keep looking for better parts :)

Maddog Reynolds

All of those subpar parts add up to make the reasons some are so unhappy with this bike.

In a way, I agree with you. And yet if you look at the list of expensive modifications some people make (Yoshi exhaust, titanium spindles and screws, PC5 and alternate rearsets) the bike would simply cost more than it does now, once many owners had it just the way they want it.

At least this way, I got a new bike at a lower cost, one I can fettle until it's just right for me :)

At least this way, I got a new bike at a lower cost, one I can fettle until it's just right for me :)

That's the exact reason we bought ours. $5500 ride away in Australia is a bargain price.

Agreed that MANY things on this bike SHOULD have been corrected by now at the factory but It gives us something to talk about at the pub :)