Rev Limiter Came On

ClassicSauber87

Basically long story short, while riding yesterday about halfway through my ride I went to overtake a car and pulled back the throttle and nothing happened. After fiddling around I realized I couldn't exceed about 6500 RPM in any gear except 1st. I would be cruising totally fine and go to open the throttle and once it hit 6500 it was pegged there no matter how far back that throttle went. Anyone have any idea why this might have just come on now? It's never been on before. The only thing I changed was the shift indicator light on the display, other than that I haven't adjusted anything but that shouldn't cause any problems.

ArkansasDave

One guy had a rag get sucked into his intake. You could be in limp mode, is there any sort of warning light or message on? Should have a warranty so take it to the dealer.

ClassicSauber87

Hmm can't hurt to look sounds possible, but no no messages. I haven't taken anything off in a few weeks and had many rides in between so that's really why I'm stumped, but intake would be good to check.

ClassicSauber87

That's a good idea to check the air intake I didn't think of that. Its just weird how it developed on the last ride. Just waiting for the dealer to get back to me so the fun begins.... Haha

ArkansasDave

The other person that had it was speed sensitive so at 45 mph regardless of gear or rpm it did it. I mainly suggested it since it's a super easy free thing to check.

OP what about in neutral or clutch pulled in while in any gear?

ClassicSauber87

Intake was clear and no, I was in gear without pulling the clutch. It's strange how 1st gear seems ok but after that I'm stuck at 6500. Top speed is now 60-68 depending on how steep the road is haha :p

JKBC

You mention changing the shift light. You may have changed the the limiter as well.

Yes...anytime you change something on anything and then you have undesired consequences the first thing to do is to undo that change...or in Microsuck thinking 'back up and restore', save system image, etc.

...But for now why not just reset the shift light to a higher rpm and see what happens. It is pretty cool how you can set the light in 50 rpm increments. I set mine at 7350 when I first got mine for the initial 1000kms. Haven't changed it yet and have rarely seen it come on but I suppose I should set it at what-ever the red-line is for a broken in RC 390...what-ever that is?....maybe 500rpm less for safety although I would imagine stock engine management won't allow for over-revving?

Last edited:

KTMGene390

Yes...anytime you change something on anything and then you have undesired consequences the first thing to do is to undo that change...or in Microsuck thinking 'back up and restore', save system image, etc.

...But for now why not just reset the shift light to a higher rpm and see what happens. It is pretty cool how you can set the light in 50 rpm increments. I set mine at 7350 when I first got mine for the initial 1000kms. Haven't changed it yet and have rarely seen it come on but I suppose I should set it at what-ever the red-line is for a broken in RC 390...what-ever that is?....maybe 500rpm less for safety although I would imagine stock engine management won't allow for over-revving?

Changing what RPM the shift light activates has no effect whatsoever on the factory rev limiter.