Unshielding the fan....

Old3

Country flag
First, fan works fine on my bike but Im thinking as summer approaches the excessive shielding that it probably has can come off to better cool the radiator. Im not worried about heat on my legs. Id just like to get max air flow when the fan is on or air is passing thru it in motion.

So, anyone pull the shielding off the stocker and how much must come apart to get the fan access Id need? Will the rad have to come out totally or just pulled forward? Ive been to the valves, (what fun), and am hoping
I can get this done from the front of the bike.

thanks.

stevieboy

Country flag
I agree. And I got mine for $41.00 inc. shipping. Parts guy at KTM dealer thought the stock one was "around $150.00". That's just nuts!

Treachery

Country flag
Okay. I get it that the OE fan fails. I see that the shielding is meant to duct the hot air down and away from the rider. I understand that the Spal fan moves air better, and is more reliable. Question: If the OE fan didn't fail, and moved air at the same rate as the Spal, wouldn't creating a larger pull area with the shielding be more efficient than just pulling from the 5.2" circle that the Spal does? Or is the shielding part of the reason that the bike heats up, meaning that the "fan off" air flow is less than with the shielding removed? Not debating the success of the swap, just curious.

I'll go sit down now...

Postage costs more than the item. :(

??? The auction Eddy linked to showed free shipping.

Old3

Country flag
Thanks for the link, I may end up doing that anyway but whats it take to get the fan out in hand? Can I just pull the rad forward or do I have to drain it too?

Anyone have a stock fan laying around? Does the sheilding just pop off or unbolt by chance?

Thanks!

Fasteddy

Country flag
Thanks for the link, I may end up doing that anyway but whats it take to get the fan out in hand? Can I just pull the rad forward or do I have to drain it too?

Anyone have a stock fan laying around? Does the sheilding just pop off or unbolt by chance?

Thanks!

I believe I read in a thread, can't remember if it was this forum or the ktmduke390forum.com but I believe someone was able to pull radiator forward without removing / draining hoses and remove fan.

From looking at pictures of the fan it would seem to be a single injection molded assembly, shield / fan motor mount....

Fasteddy

Country flag
Okay. I get it that the OE fan fails. I see that the shielding is meant to duct the hot air down and away from the rider. I understand that the Spal fan moves air better, and is more reliable. Question: If the OE fan didn't fail, and moved air at the same rate as the Spal, wouldn't creating a larger pull area with the shielding be more efficient than just pulling from the 5.2" circle that the Spal does? Or is the shielding part of the reason that the bike heats up, meaning that the "fan off" air flow is less than with the shielding removed? Not debating the success of the swap, just curious.

Maybe a better approach considering the options would be to buy the Spal unit and swap the motor / blade assembly into the OEM shielded mount, from the pics they look pretty similar....

Old3

Country flag
I hear ya, still Id like to know if the shrouding was added on to an existing fan with a base frame, or if the shroud actually is the frame. Does it come apart, as Id run it naked like the Spal unit that Ive had on many enduro and SM bikes already.

Thanks.

Diploman

I looked at the OEM shrouded fan I took off my bike. As I remembered, the shroud is also the frame. Not only is it a weird and inefficient de ign (not to mention unreliable), but it is also heavier than the SPAL.

I was one of the lucky ones: I was able to use the noisy bugger successfully for about three weeks before making a pre-emptive swap for the SPAL. All the other SPAL benefits aside, it was worth the swap for the remarkably quiet operation of the SPAL alone.

Old3

Country flag
Ive got 3,000 very quiet miles on mine, even when ts running its no louder than any other fan Ive had. Hmmmm. Might try to get a look at it tomorrow I guess.

Thanks.

Old3

Country flag
My hopes of unbolting the shielding were shattered today! Hahaha!

So, ok, got it out. Pull both side fairings, pull forward rad shield, pull rad nuts, oull firward. Remove the three nuts in the fan and catch the loose studserts that are kinda holding them to the fan. If you loosen the nuts, you might, might be able to twist the fan out but be gentle.

So, there it is. The frame is the shrouding. Hmmmmm. Cut off wheel!!!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgBimage.jpg

Last edited:

Old3

Country flag
So, when bolted in it seems just as sturdy as before. When running it now soaks the rider compartments leg area with heat. I was getting nothing before so I know its moving more air thru the bike. Im sure more will pass thru more easily in motion. The open area is greatly increased.

If/when I have a fan issue i will get the Spal and drop it in. For now this one is fine and Im thinking Im more than 90% as effecient as the Spal for an hours worth of dickering around.