Valve clearance check!!!

Zigoron

Guys, is it compulsory to check the valve clearances?? I have a 2017 RC390 and have run about 13,000kms till date and haven't checked the valves yet. I had asked my dealer here in India why they don't do valve checks. They say only when you face a problem, they open up the engine else no. So I would like to know what are the symptoms of valve clearances being out of spec and what can be the consequences because of it. My bike is due for 3rd service and I am hell bent on getting it checked. So if the dealer doesn't do it, I'll do it myself. Can anybody tell me the proper procedure in checking the valves and finding the correct replacement shims?
Thanks [emoji111]️

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Checking the valves isn't exactly "opening up the engine" and should be done as a part of semi-regular maintenance. Especially on these single cylinder motors.

That being said, explaining the process is neither quick nor easy. With as tight as the spacing is within the frame of this bike it's most likely easiest to remove the motor from the bike to check the valves.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
13000km and the valves STILL haven't been checked?!!!!! Yeah, that's NEEDED to be done! Jeezabob! Pretty much count on everything being tight at this point.

As to your question of what impact of tight valves would be:
- Low power (exhaust or intake vales not closing completely
- Backfire
- Premature wear of CAM lobe face(s)
- Premature wear of Valve follower(s)

Check your valves, or get them checked, it should have been done after the break in period.
It can be done with the engine in the bike, but yes it is a pain.
Personally I found pulling the engine to be pretty easy, not necessarily recommending that, but it is an option, and makes checking the valves easy.
I find it very strange the dealer would say they don't do it when it's part of the maintenance schedule.

Zigoron

13000km and the valves STILL haven't been checked?!!!!! Yeah, that's NEEDED to be done! Jeezabob! Pretty much count on everything being tight at this point.

- Backfire
The guy's here don't do it unless you face any problem. I don't know why they do that, moreover majority of the checks which you guys have in your owner's manual, we don't get it. But today I some how convinced them to check it, they will be doing it tomorrow. Did you know, we don't get the same manual as you guys. All we get is a crappy app with crappy irrelevant info which is not useful to a rider. The reason being, majority of the people here don't know these hence don't care.

Zigoron

Check your valves, or get them checked, it should have been done after the break in period.
It can be done with the engine in the bike, but yes it is a pain.
Personally I found pulling the engine to be pretty easy, not necessarily recommending that, but it is an option, and makes checking the valves easy.
I find it very strange the dealer would say they don't do it when it's part of the maintenance schedule.
No KTM bike sold in India gets it's valve clearances checked at 1000kms. Only when you face a problem, they will check, there are people who have been riding for nearly 40000kms and still not got their valves checked. Also the clearances check isn't a part of the routine maintenance schedule here in India. I have attached the check list which we get in India. We don't get the same manual as you guys. So People don't know people don't care. Whereas I am not like that, I downloaded the pdf manual online went straight to the dealer convinced them to check it. Will be doing it tomorrow.
3cf1fccf682b6d55baa42b7c9ac7f845.jpg

Zigoron

- Backfire
Hey buddy, just checked the valve clearances today. All are in spec, no issues at all.