Warning - buyer beware fake scotts dampers

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

Recently, we've been getting a lot of inquires on comparison of Genuine Scotts Dampers Vs. Fake China Knock off Scotts Dampers, "Are they worth it or not"

All we can say is..... a quality damper is like an airbag or a quality helmet. You don't think you need it, until you do.

It could very well save your life. Do you really want rely your life on a Cheap China Knock off, or ........a quality built product.

If you've never had a tank slapper, then consider yourself lucky.

But, if the day comes your front end gets light, and comes down a little crooked and your bars go nuts, or you exit a turn hard, or cross over some railroad tracks and the bars go nuts, or anyone one of hundred things that cause a tank slapper.......... then having a quality Steering damper can mean the difference between a crash, or riding away.

We definitely, recommend taking into consideration when you buy something as important as a Steering damper. Who makes it, what's the quality.

Make sure it's GENUINE Scotts Damper. Not a Cheap China Knock off.

Ask the question of your seller. "Is this a Genuine Scotts Damper or Fake China Knock off"

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

Well seems Scotts is well aware of this, and has even received a few of these fake knock offs for inspection.

They said after looking inside the knock off version, they are total garbage using inferior parts. Guess only a shady dealer would actually try and sell them.

Doesn't change the fact that customers need to be careful. There are a lot of shady dealers out there who don't care.

Hopefully the lawsuit
Scott's is currently working on will weed out most of them.

Edwardp33

Country flag
I purchased an awesome damper from Formula 390. Of course you never know how good they are until you get on the track and start hitting bumps. In my case I tipped into a corner too early and hit an inside curb on the track. The front end did not move. I was impressed how well it handled the high speed impact and did its job. The damper I got from Formula390 is not an expensive brand-name damper but it did it did an amazing job and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. The track where I have my membership is bumpy and my front end is always stable. I can feel the damper doing its job as I accelerate over the bumps. I highly recommend a steering damper, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get one. See the end of the video for how the damper handled the curb.

https://youtu.be/biTPuJRlmWQ

Last edited:

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
That's Cresson. Not a bad track for some high speed corners and a decent section of some technical bits.
OK, thanks. Dang; was hoping there was some other Austin area track I hadn't heard of. Of course, I have plenty to learn at Harris Hill, but I worry that they may cancel the motorcycle program. Damn Mazdas!

The motorcycle program is safe for at least the next year. That's straight from the horse's mouth. Cresson isn't too far away and it's a fun track. I think 3:16 track days is doing something there in a few days.