What break-in / running oil is everyone using?

corners

Just trying to get an idea for the different weights and oils that folks are using.

I used the factory break in oil and the Castrol 4T 10W-40 mineral oil then switched to full synthetic Mobil 4T 10W/40.

Engine seems to have a lot of power and "kick" to it (for it's size).

Excuse my ignorance but would a care engine break-in oil also work - such as AMSOil Break-In Oil SAE 30 or Royal Purple Break-In Oil? I don't believe either has friction modifiers but they may be too thick. I was looking for the JASO MA / MA-2 standard on the oil. I believe those specs indicate which friction modifiers are compatible with wet-clutches.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1105.pdf

All of this oil stuff is confusing when you first start looking into it.

corners

I'm guessing most folks here are letting the dealer do their maintenance.

Due to my dealers lack of stocking the oil and filters I've just been doing it on my own. KN-155 filter and oil of my choice.

2500+ miles and going to change to YamaLube 15W/50 which is what I could find in my area, otherwise it's the AutoParts store with the Mobil 4T Racing 10W/40.

The 10W/40 hasn't given me any trouble, the shifting is silky smooth, almost flawless when the engine gets warmed up and seems to carry the RPM over to the next shift at high revs.

The engine doesn't appear to use oil... find out at the next change and we'll see how the 15W/50 compares to the 10W/40.

One thing I'll say about this bike is that the faster you go the cooler it gets and the smoother everything works. This isn't a slow riding sit in traffic style bike.

Hit the rev limiter several times and startled me at first but have learned to watch the RPM and know what to look for.

Still curious if the purposefully labeled break-in oil would work, it seems that it would but didn't get a chance to try it.

Ryanthegreat1

Full Syn Motorex 10w50.

Changed at 400 and 1300 miles. Probably due again at 2100 miles.

Dealer did not have the recommended 15w50 on the shelf. Thinking about Rotella T6 5w40. I run it in all my bikes and cars but it is a little on the light side for what the manual recommends. Also looking at Mobil 1 15w50 as it still has high levels of zinc and phosphorous.

DCMoney

Country flag
k2-_0c3195d4-3490-4997-9b5a-df825d73a112.v2.jpg

Switching to full synthetic after the next race weekend.

RoninJames

First service is at 630 miles and the dealership uses the 15w 50 semi synth.
i did an oil change prior to that at about 300 miles to clean out the engine debris (see the change oil early thread)
I used another mineral oil for that change as it was still in break in period.

corners

Looks like the weights are all over the board. Someone mentioned 5W, would be interested to know how that performs.

JKBC

Motorex the Swiss-made oil is the go-to factory fill for KTM products. So your bike already had full-synthetic (Motorex 15W-50) in it when you got it. Mobil One and other automotive synthetics aren't formulated for high revving motorcycle engines which also have a wet clutch and a gearbox using the same oil. There is a standard for oils to be used in those 3 distinctly different parts of a motorcycle's drive-train...JASO MA.
KTM Introduces Co-Branded Motorex Products - Motorcycle USA
JASO MA.JPG

JKBC

It's just like with heat pumps and such....it's only as good as the contractor who installed it....in other words...
Unscrupulous dealers love clueless customers when it comes to any product.

Last edited:

OldVet

I do like synthetic oil but not a big fan of Motorex as that is what I was using in my 07 450 EXC and had to have a valve job done at 4,500 miles.

I've been using Amsoil since then with real good luck, they make oils for pretty much every application.

OldVet

So did mine... How soon should you change your oil, ideally speaking?

With my BMW S1000RR I change it every 4,000 miles. My 350 EXC-F gets it every 1,000 and I will change the oil in the RC between 2,000 and 2,500 miles or sooner. Heck it takes less than 2 quarts and I think these little singles work a lot harder than a multi cylinder engine.

JKBC

I do like synthetic oil but not a big fan of Motorex as that is what I was using in my 07 450 EXC and had to have a valve job done at 4,500 miles.

I've been using Amsoil since then with real good luck, they make oils for pretty much every application.[/QUOTE

But valve jobs or failure are not easily blamed on oil..
Engine Valve Failure and it used to be the lead in gas that lubricated the valves not oil....post lead valve guide metallurgy does..or doesn't do it. Well oiled valve guides would make a 4-stroke look like a 2-stroke.

OldVet

But valve jobs or failure are not easily blamed on oil..
Engine Valve Failure and it used to be the lead in gas that lubricated the valves not oil....post lead valve guide metallurgy does..or doesn't do it. Well oiled valve guides would make a 4-stroke look like a 2-stroke.

That very well could be, I am just expressing my experience. I've been using the same gas as before and after changing oil I haven't had any problem and have way more miles on my scooters than I did with the 450.

My KTM dealer doesn't use Motorex either (he does sell it though) he likes Rock Oil.

I’m not advocating that you or anyone else not to use Motorex it if you choose, just that I won’t be using it.

Last edited:

corners

Motorex the Swiss-made oil is the go-to factory fill for KTM products. So your bike already had full-synthetic (Motorex 15W-50) in it when you got it. Mobil One and other automotive synthetics aren't formulated for high revving motorcycle engines which also have a wet clutch and a gearbox using the same oil. There is a standard for oils to be used in those 3 distinctly different parts of a motorcycle's drive-train...JASO MA.
KTM Introduces Co-Branded Motorex Products - Motorcycle USA

I linked the JASO standard in the original post and have used all JASO MA compliant oils including the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W/40 motorcycle oil, though like you say Mobil One does make automotive type oil.

My dealer told me that there was a mineral break-in oil in the engine when I bought it and that it was important to keep mineral oil in there for at least the recommended mileage.

Do you have some documentation as to the full synthetic from the factory? I don't doubt that it was full synthetic but there's always a lot of mis-information to sort through with these types of things.

The problem I'm faced with is the lack of availability of the Motorex oils even from the dealer.

As far as car engine break-in oils... well I can see how they wouldn't be suitable for motorcycle engines after the break-in but during the break-in, especially if changed often enough, I'm not so sure, have to do more research. I know they don't have friction modifiers and that's the part I'm leery about.