Which One (Chain Options)?

RobbiRob76

Going to upgrade from my stock chain to an aftermarket. Thinking of going to the Neon Orange (top of picture), rather than the OEM color (middle). The black with gold pins and rollers looks nice as well.
All constructive opinions welcome!!!!!
RobbiRob

KTM CHAIN COLORS.JPG

RobbiRob76

I have non o ring, o ring , and x ring options. I am probably going to go X Ring, for personal reasons. I have chain dyno data. A non O or X ring chain is lighter, but as the chain builds heat and the plates swell in size, the dyno shows the drag is higher than that of a O ring Or X ring. the weight is higher but the drag is less according to the chain dyno

mr-fabricator

Non o ring for me

I dont think the chain heats up enough around track to cause drag issues . Bum dyno data .

Regards lee

When a top level Cdn Superbike builder advised me that the advantages of a non-O ring chain were gone once the bike had heated up the drive train (on a dyno), I started using an O ring or X ring DID chain. I have used both and found no real running difference between them. A good quality name brand chain is my choice. parillaguy

mr-fabricator

Maybe im just slow :) ha ha .

Not sure if theyre 520 pitch but our 125 gp boys ave analised their telemetry and do see the advantage of a non vs oring .

Must admit we have a short track with 2 straights that arnt particularly long if that would make a difference ? Were not flat out for long..

regards lee

RobbiRob76

This is the industry I work in... Not trying to be a know it all. Just sharing data, as much as I'm allowed. Not trying to force my opinion on in anyone! Just sharing data.
Robbi

mr-fabricator

Ha ha , im always polite :)

Got me thinking now , gonna keep an eye on my chain as soon as im in the pits , see what temp it gets to ,

Every day is a school day :)

Kindest regards lee ;-)

Maddog Reynolds

On the road with a half-worn O-ring chain, I noticed the bike felt better when I went from white wax lub to
a light brushing with gear oil. Not just smoother, I mean I was changing gear at the same speeds, but it went faster up the local big hill (Shap Fell). I wasn't expecting to notice that.

I have just gone for DID 520VX2, which I think is their toughest X-ring chain with a split link (chosen because I am messing with sprocket sizes and it's easier that way).

From tests I saw, X-ring should give slightly more speed than O-ring and slightly more than a plain chain, *unless* it is brand new on new sprockets. When I read the tests, the brand new plain chain was fastest, but by the end of a day's racing it had worn enough to be second to X-ring!

D

Deleted member 452

My DID ERV3 just spit out a couple X-Rings the last time I lubed it after only 4.2K street miles. I Lubed the chain every 500 miles & cleaned it ever other lube using KTM recommended Motorex products. Unlike the OEM chain that stretched every ride over it's 8.5K mile life, the DID chain never stretched at all but I don't know how long it will last after losing some X-rings...

*I don't ride in the rain
**New sprockets were installed with the chain
***Wheels are properly aligned

CDN Duke

Country flag
I can get a good deal on the EK 3D 520GP... it's a huge jump in cost even at a killer discounted price, not sure if worth the extra money?

I run KMC X10SL chains with the Ti-Nitride coating on my pedal bikes - been very pleased with them over the years. The Ti-Ni coating is more corrosion resistant than some of the other finishes to boot so I think the chains end up lasting longer as long as properly maintained.

I consider these EK 3D GP chains to be similar to the Ti-Ni coated bicycle chains - hopefully they're as good. KMC also makes a DLC (diamond like coated) chain but it's too expensive FWIW IMO.

isaac_

My DID ERV3 just spit out a couple X-Rings the last time I lubed it after only 4.2K street miles. I Lubed the chain every 500 miles & cleaned it ever other lube using KTM recommended Motorex products. Unlike the OEM chain that stretched every ride over it's 8.5K mile life, the DID chain never stretched at all but I don't know how long it will last after losing some X-rings...

*I don't ride in the rain
**New sprockets were installed with the chain
***Wheels are properly aligned

Weird! I haven't changed my chain on my race bike in 3 years and it's going strong. YMMV I guess.