110's or 120's on front

green_bread

Country flag
That is what I run and I have never even considered trying another tire on my RC. I absolutely love the Pirelli SC's and I am willing to bet money on you loving them, too!

Love my pirelli's!! 120/150 sc2/sc1 combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isaac, Im interested to hear your reasoning behind your choice of 120 front and 150 rear when most say the 110/140 combination is the way to go and best fit for the rims?

isaac_

isaac, Im interested to hear your reasoning behind your choice of 120 front and 150 rear when most say the 110/140 combination is the way to go and best fit for the rims?

Yes, the wheels are designed for a smaller tire. The reason why we went with the 120/150 PIRELLI is because we needed to get the geometry of the bike right. Out of the box, with the 110/140 PIRELLI the geometry (i.e. Trail and ride height) were not optimal. We were able to achieve that with the 120/150 combination.

YMMV if you use a different manufacturer tire. Hence the emphasis on PIRELLI.

Yes, the wheels are designed for a smaller tire. The reason why we went with the 120/150 PIRELLI is because we needed to get the geometry of the bike right. Out of the box, with the 110/140 PIRELLI the geometry (i.e. Trail and ride height) were not optimal. We were able to achieve that with the 120/150 combination.

YMMV if you use a different manufacturer tire. Hence the emphasis on PIRELLI.

Yes that's a very good reason!

When I first asked about using the Bridgestone R10 120/70 I could see that it would raise the front 6mm and was also something I could see as a positive.

My main concern Im having with the front is its tendency to tuck under usually right at the apex of a corner, not enough to lowside, but still little disconcerting all the same

Raising the front and increasing 'trail' should be better to help alleviate this? along with more grip!

How is the front feel with the 120 tyre profile on the 3.00 inch rim? Is it notably different from the 110?

Thanks for your feedback isaac :)

Last edited:

isaac_

Yes that's a very good reason!

When I first asked about using the Bridgestone R10 120/70 I could see that it would raise the front 6mm and was also something I could see as a positive.

My main concern Im having with the front is its tendency to tuck under usually right at the apex of a corner, not enough to lowside, but still little disconcerting all the same

Raising the front and increasing 'trail' should be better to help alleviate this? along with more grip!

How is the front feel with the 120 tyre profile on the 3.00 inch rim? Is it notably different from the 110?

Thanks for your feedback isaac :)

I haven't had any issues with the front. For me it feels very planted. The few times I've had the front slide have been a result of poor body position or tense on the bars...but not because the tire couldn't take it.

I can't compare it to the 110 as I've never ridden it. That being said, some will say it tips in better. Honestly, I don't buy it. Having watched some of those guys, I think mine does just the same as theirs.

mdabyo

Country flag
I think i am going to give a 120 a go on the front when my 110 wears out. I am also going to try out the 160 Sc2 rear as i am not a fan of the profile of the 150.

mdabyo

Country flag
i have heard a number of guys have great success with the 160. I know a few R3 guys who run 160's on them with the 4.5in rim and they work amazing! From talking with perelli the 140 and the 160 are very similar tires, but the 150 has a smaller radius. so it was actually recommended by them to run either a 140 or a 160.

isaac_

i have heard a number of guys have great success with the 160. I know a few R3 guys who run 160's on them with the 4.5in rim and they work amazing! From talking with perelli the 140 and the 160 are very similar tires, but the 150 has a smaller radius. so it was actually recommended by them to run either a 140 or a 160.

Post up on how it performs.

mdabyo

Country flag
ya i know a 4.5 is recommended for the 160, but perelli guy told me a lot of lightweight guys are running them:

- the 140/70 has a good profile. nice and tall
- the 150/60 is a smaller tire than both the 140 and 160
- the 160/60 ends up with a very similar profile to the 140/70 when mounted on the 4 inch rim.

Personal preference as always, but i am going to try it to see how it goes.

ya i know a 4.5 is recommended for the 160, but perelli guy told me a lot of lightweight guys are running them:

- the 140/70 has a good profile. nice and tall
- the 150/60 is a smaller tire than both the 140 and 160
- the 160/60 ends up with a very similar profile to the 140/70 when mounted on the 4 inch rim.

Personal preference as always, but i am going to try it to see how it goes.

Very interested to hear how you go with the 120/160 combo
Are you going with full slicks as they are available in these sizes?
Any brand preference?
Please keep us updated on your findings