12 miles. 3 times overheated

yo69xl

That's better. Thanks for the info and the links. I suppose the 'heat deflector fan shroud' mentioned earlier is the black plastic thing you see on top of the fan when the radiator is removed and with the fan still on picture in the tutorial?

Yes indeed , here is a picture .B50AD9AD-87D1-4F22-9787-60B32A3139F7.jpg

RC390 Fan

Just curious, where does the engine temp sensor live? I was just wondering if maybe another reason for the stock shroud directing hot air downward is to keep it from blowing directly on the head/cylinder area. ?

And if the temp sensor is on the radiator then maybe while the radiator is cooler with the new SPAL fan, the engine may not be.

Just a thought and I hope i'm wrong because I just ordered a new spal fan.

Fasteddy

Country flag
It's on the backside of the cylinder, and sends a signal representing temp directly to the ECU, The ECU is what is actually turning the fan off and on using adaptive software control, it's not just a basic thermostatic switch off / on with temp, The ECU is factoring in speed , load , temp etc. connect OBD II and drive around you can see it in action....

Starxz

Country flag
Dealer came to pick the bike up last night. Hopefully will hear from them today on the diagnosis of what part of the fan system died.

So update from the dealer on my buddy's behalf. They are draining all fluids, have ordered a entire new radiator assembly (fan included), and "scoped the engine for damage" (if they even spent the time).
-No engine damage reported
I am expected to get the bike back soon and I just want to know what are some of the things I should be looking for? Such as misshaped hoses or noises or vibrations when riding? Again I'm new at this so anything helps, Thanks for all the help from the forum

OldVet

Beside what you mentioned I would check every bolt on the bike; start the bike up and make sure the fan comes on when it gets up to temp and watch for leaks.

RobbiRob76

I'm the one who had the fan seize up at about the 850 mile mark. Warranty covered it, took a week to get it back.

Starxz

Country flag
Thanks Vet!

And no no problems since then Rob?

Does anyone know if these are just the same fans or if they have corrected the issue at all? I'm assuming they are likely the same...

RobbiRob76

Thanks Vet!

And no no problems since then Rob?

Does anyone know if these are just the same fans or if they have corrected the issue at all? I'm assuming they are likely the same...

No further issues... I dont believe the part is an improved piece.

Starxz

Country flag
Got the bike back Friday and have rode it a few times. Man is it fun!

I don't know how the dealership missed the fact that the fan never kicked on during their test ride. The thing is loud!

One other question about the fan tho. When the fan is running and I go to turn the bike off, it kills the fan too. My buddies R6 still runs the fan till the bike cools enough to shut off. Even after turning his bike off. Is this a KTM thing where everything turns off?

ArkansasDave

I don't know how the dealership missed the fact that the fan never kicked on during their test ride. The thing is loud!

One other question about the fan tho. When the fan is running and I go to turn the bike off, it kills the fan too. My buddies R6 still runs the fan till the bike cools enough to shut off. Even after turning his bike off. Is this a KTM thing where everything turns off?

It's a lot of bikes thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As soon as you start the bike again the fluid will flow and the fan will turn on.

Fasteddy

Country flag

Your buddies R6 has likely had the 'fan relay' mod done to it, last R6's I rode and my YZF600R all shut fan / everything off with ignition switch.

rick

At here in Cali, some bikes have a fan that runs after shutdown for emissions purposes.

reenmachine

Country flag
I don't see the point in it. There's no coolant flow, so you're only cooling the coolant that's in the radiator. As a bonus, you're draining your battery running a high-draw device while you're not generating power.