2017 RC390 Maintenance Parts Compatibility

kaede

Hi Guys!

Brand new to the forum and will be soon an owner of a 2017 RC390! Delivery is to be sometime April or latest May here in Canada in the PNW.

I have already started stocking up some parts for the RC! So far I have purchased the Helix Racing 1.6 Bar Radiator Cap, some Engine Ice, as well as some extra Break-In oil (Motorex 15w50 conventional - I will be changing my oil several times during the break in period).

MY QUESTION IS, since there is no major overhaul or change made to the RC390's engine since its inception, I suppose the oil filter as well as air filter for the 14-16 RC390's will also fit the 2017? Since I will be changing the oil before the 1st service, i will need to buy some oil filters as well (I will clean and re-use the strainers, and maybe put in new ones at the 1000km/600miles service). However, all the oil filter manufacturers have yet to update their part compatibility with the 2017s, so I am just a tiny bit hesitant in purchasing. I am specifically looking at the K&N oil filters.

Also, I would like to swap the air filter element for the K&N or BMC filter as well, but again, those manufacturers have no updated part compatibility as well for the 2017 RC390...

Anyone with experience know if those parts that fit/work on the 14-16' will do the same for the 2017s?

Many Thanks!

Diploman

Since the 390 engine received no major updates - aside from ride-by-wire - for 2017, it follows that maintenance parts for the 2013-16 will be the same for the 2017. Unlikely that there will be changes to the recommended Motorex/Motul oils or OEM filters.

For cooling, you are prudent to prepare a new radiator cap and Engine Ice in advance. I would also recommend purchasing a SPAL 5.2" puller fan to replace the bizarro shrouded OEM fan, which has had a very checkered reliability record in the North American market. The SPAL is lighter, quieter, more efficient and much more RELIABLE.

A caution on your plan to change air filters: For emissions certification reasons, the 390 engine is mapped very lean from the factory. Any change to either exhaust or intake from the factory configuration will exacerbate this lean condition, so should only be undertaken if you have first fitted a fuel controller to correct the AFR to a safe ratio. Intake or exhaust mods without a fuel controller risk creating serious engine damage.

kaede

Hi! Thanks for the reply and the tip regarding intake! I will definitely leave that stock then. As for the fan, I'll add that to my to do list once I get the bike!!

It's just that usually here in the pacific northwest in Canada temperature usually does not go anywhere above 25'c (77'F). And if it does usually won't last longer than a week or two. Thinking maybe ktm have addressed the fan issue and want to keep it stock. If heating becomes an apparent issue the for sure fan will go in!!

Thanks again!

Treachery

Country flag
Welcome!
The one thing I'd add to your shopping list: If you don't buy backup strainer/plugs, you probably want to source replacement O-rings for those. They can get shredded/nicked/damaged fairly easily on installation.

xplodee

A caution on your plan to change air filters: For emissions certification reasons, the 390 engine is mapped very lean from the factory. Any change to either exhaust or intake from the factory configuration will exacerbate this lean condition, so should only be undertaken if you have first fitted a fuel controller to correct the AFR to a safe ratio. Intake or exhaust mods without a fuel controller risk creating serious engine damage.

I randomly just ended in this thread but thanks for the info man.

I was making plans of getting an aftermarket cheap free-flow exhaust for sometime.
After 1.8 years and 20k km of ownership I'm kind of bored now with the stock feeling.

Can you please mention what should we do if we plan on putting a free flow (sometimes db killer) exhaust?
Are the service centre guys capable of setting the AFR accordingly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk