2018 SPAL radiator fan swap

A0AM

Country flag
Got my bike apart today to do a handful of mods including swapping to the SPAL fan. A couple of observations and a question...

My 2018 doesn’t have the fan shroud I’ve seen on the earlier bikes, when did they change, 2017? Did they also upgrade the fan making the SPAL swap not necessary?

Seems the polarity is off. When connecting the wires red-red, black-black, the fan spins in the wrong direction. Easy fix as I’ll just change the wiring. But very curious if this is what others found.

Thanks!

Tom

I actually just ordered a new radiator assembly for my '17. I'm upgrading to the '18+ and yes, completely different part numbers for the fan assembly. They've done an overhaul on the cooling system of the '18 + bikes. The heat shield you have between the motor and radiator is back ordered until the end of June =(

A0AM

Country flag
Where did you look for the part numbers? Several places I looked didn’t have a 2017 fiche and the 2018 fiche didn’t look like mine.

Im still likely going to install the SPAL fan. I guess it can’t hurt.

By heat shield do you mean the rubber mat? Similar to what is on top of the engine? I think I’ll remove mine as I don’t think it’ll help cooling (likely for sound or heat protection for the rider). Should I keep it?

John390

my '18 is the same way.

Now that said, Its never given me any issues cooling wize. Even in hot weather stuck in traffic, the stock fan keeps things under control.

Using Torque app, I see the temps climb to about 205-210 and then drop to 195 or a bit less. These numbers are by memory, but they are close.

Never went above those numbers and always pulls it down in a min or two.

never goes into the top two parts on the stock gauge(the top part divided from the rest of the gauge)

Tom

Where did you look for the part numbers? Several places I looked didn’t have a 2017 fiche and the 2018 fiche didn’t look like mine.

Im still likely going to install the SPAL fan. I guess it can’t hurt.

By heat shield do you mean the rubber mat? Similar to what is on top of the engine? I think I’ll remove mine as I don’t think it’ll help cooling (likely for sound or heat protection for the rider). Should I keep it?

I buy most of my OEM stuff from here:
https://www.ktmworld.com/

If you are looking for part numbers and diagrams, just use the "parts finder" on KTM's website. It's link is located under the "Dealer and Service" section at the bottom of their home page:
https://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/?lang=en

They use to also have all the service manuals on there but pulled them down for some reason.

Andy

Country flag
I only see the owner’s manual. Not the service manual. Where is it? Am I looking at the wrong menu? Thanks.

Service manual isn’t on there. The only manual I’ve found via Google is for the Duke, which is helpful, but RC manuals only for purchase via download or CD on EBay, Amazon, Torrent sites or via main dealers ranging from £10-£30!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I'd advise keeping your expectations very low regarding the so-called Repair Manual. I am constantly disappointed in its massive gaps.

One example: there is exactly ZERO information about assembling the brake system hoses, ABS unit, etc. Where other brands (even Ducati) go to great lengths to provide diagrams of correct hose routing, and even the precise angles of the fittings, the RC390 manual has nothing, nothing at all. I had to go to partsfish just to see an illustration that would give me a clue about which hose goes where.

Electrical system operating principles and troubleshooting? Dream on!

The 'Repair Manual' has fair coverage of the engine and some frame items, as well as schedule maintenance procedures (which are already covered in the Owners Manual). But it is easily the most inadequate service manual I have ever owned. Is it any wonder that dealership service varies greatly? They are working with utterly inadequate reference materials.

Grrrr.

Tom

Yeah I guess I derp'd on those online manuals.

Also, I installed the '19 radiator assembly on my bike today. The new fan unit is incredible, it actually sucks my hand to the radiator. Is the spal fan even necessary on the bikes that come with these units? The one that came with my '17 had a closed off design, was uber noisy, and really didnt move that much air.

Last edited:

chx$trips

Country flag
What was the total cost for swapping over to the '18+ setup? I have a '17 and I think it's time to change my fan setup

Tom

Mine was part of the radiator assemble I ordered, but you can get the fan alone for around $123.

Here's the part number for the fan:

You can just google the part number to find a distributor, or just use the site I do:
https://www.ktmworld.com/oemparts/a/ktm/5ae8e8407e33f6207c062a2f/cooling-system
Im not sure if you need the mounting brackets for the fan ( #31 though #33) or if the original one fit, but the're $1.22 a piece. May as well order them with the fan for the free shipping.

A0AM

Country flag
Yeah I guess I derp'd on those online manuals.

Also, I installed the '19 radiator assembly on my bike today. The new fan unit is incredible, it actually sucks my hand to the radiator. Is the spal fan even necessary on the bikes that come with these units? The one that came with my '17 had a closed off design, was uber noisy, and really didnt move that much air.

This is my big question. I have the SPAL fan now installed, but haven’t been able to ride (installing lots of other parts so the bike is in pieces). Very curious to know how the new fan compares to the SPAL fan. The 18+ fan is so much less restrictive.