3 390s and a track all to ourselves

emeglasson

Here are a few more photos from that day. And, oh yes, it was it a blast. I got to ride Matt's cup bike back to back with mine. And, as Dianne said, we had a small track all to ourselves, so we got to stop, tinker, adjust, re-try, and tinker some more quit a bit. The most surprising thing to me about the cup bike was how fantastic the front brake felt, as my street bike felt so horrid. The cup bike (apparently) has the same master cylinder, the disc is a very slightly different version than my Galfer upgrade, and I don't know what pads it has. I need to have a look. The combination of whatever they did on the cup bike made for very powerful, and still nicely modulated lever feel. Oh, and the slim little levers also feel awesome. I'm jelly of those brakes, especially since I've spent about 800 bucks upgrading mine!! And mine still don't feel that good...

2.JPG3.JPG6.JPG17.JPG19.JPG

Treachery

Country flag
Nice pics. I just changed my levers, and at first blush the additional "leverage" (pardon the pun) seemed to help. Still not one or two fingers, but very positive. I think a good bleed will help too.

guzz46

Its not just the cup bike that has great brakes, mine are completely standard apart from the brake lever, and they're very powerful too, I'm in NZ so I don't know if our bikes got different pads to yours, but some Americans think the brakes are great, and others don't, so I don't know whats going on there.

I don't know if its the angle of the photo, but that guy in the third photo makes the bike look big, I look too big for mine.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Its not just the cup bike that has great brakes, mine are completely standard apart from the brake lever, and they're very powerful too, I'm in NZ so I don't know if our bikes got different pads to yours, but some Americans think the brakes are great, and others don't, so I don't know whats going on there.

It's interesting to note that in the shop manual for the RC it makes no mention of exercising the ABS modulator during power (forced fluid) bleeding, yet other KTM bikes have a procedure / service software for this procedure. Also the same process is found in BMW manuals for bikes equipped with the same Bosch system. This may be the wrong thread, but I put it here because IMO Guzz and I ended up with bikes that have properly bled brakes, Maybe???

guzz46

It's interesting to note that in the shop manual for the RC it makes no mention of exercising the ABS modulator during power (forced fluid) bleeding, yet other KTM bikes have a procedure / service software for this procedure. Also the same process is found in BMW manuals for bikes equipped with the same Bosch system. This may be the wrong thread, but I put it here because IMO Guzz and I ended up with bikes that have properly bled brakes, Maybe???

That could be it, I've never had a bike where the brakes haven't been bled properly so I don't know how that would affect stopping power, I think some here have bypassed their ABS lines and said it did improve them, but I still think some weren't completely happy with them, I have gone through plenty of pads before so I know that your brakes suck when your pads are new, maybe its a combination of the two? poorly bled brakes and some kind of issue with the pads? what else could it be?

fs1ephil

The front and rear brakes on mine here in the UK are great but I did bleed the front brake on the second day of buying it as the lever would pull back a fair way on first application and then be fine on the second until it was left a while and it would pull in along way again.
Got some air out of the system and its improved a lot but I still feel there's more air in the system that could be removed.
Im going to see if there's a way I can get the Abs pump to operate manually and I will bleed the system again to see if that does the trick. Will have a look at the wiring diagrams I've got on the duke should be the same?
If it works out I will post in the Tech section

Last edited:

emeglasson

That's a custom saddle we made for her. It is made of sheet metal, folded and welded into shape. It is painted black and has 1/4" thick seat foam adhered to it. She couldn't quite touch the ground with both feet with the stock saddle. This one sits about an inch and a half lower than stock, so she can touch comfortably. This allowed her to keep the stock ride height, and not have to fiddle with the suspension.

dcs

That's a custom saddle we made for her. It is made of sheet metal, folded and welded into shape. It is painted black and has 1/4" thick seat foam adhered to it. She couldn't quite touch the ground with both feet with the stock saddle. This one sits about an inch and a half lower than stock, so she can touch comfortably. This allowed her to keep the stock ride height, and not have to fiddle with the suspension.

thanks for the reply. My wife is 4'11 and she doesnt touch the ground. I'm trying to find all possible solutions for her.

emeglasson

Our solution required only a little bit of welding, and some work with an angle grinder. I would think between something like that and one of the lowering kits, she could fit fine. If you want to see more detailed photos of how we built it, let me know, I could probably get some pics in the next few days.

dcs

Our solution required only a little bit of welding, and some work with an angle grinder. I would think between something like that and one of the lowering kits, she could fit fine. If you want to see more detailed photos of how we built it, let me know, I could probably get some pics in the next few days.

Yes please, I would to see some pics.