jbrking

Hey,

I hate to make this my introduction post but please see the attached photos..

IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0580.jpgIMG_0579.jpg

I purchased this motorcycle from a Teammoto dealership in Bowen Hills..
When purchased it had only a few thousand kilometres on the odometer.

I had owned it for a few months and put roughly 2000km on this machine.
I then took it to a independent mechanic who also service my Ducati 848 as I have had bad experiences with Teammoto mechanics.
The mechanics I took it to dumped the oil and this is what they found suggesting the engine is on its way out.

Thoughts?

-Jared

jbrking

Could be off the clutch plates?

Lets hope so..
I was experiencing clutch slip issues shortly prior to taking it in to be serviced and would be preferred to an engine being rebuilt or replaced.
Seems a little early for the clutch to go but its not entirely unheard of.

The independent mechanic I took it to immediately stopped working on the bike and had it collect by Teammoto once they saw the oil.
My guess is that they are also hoping that some sort of warranty has been transferred to me and it might save me some money, but although I was given the impression when purchasing the bike that it was an ex-demo; nobody at Teammoto has confirmed this yet.

The bike has been sitting at the Virginia branch of Teammoto since the 18/09/18 and have after much prodding I had finally got in touch with a mechanic there who tells me that they have taken the engine out of the bike and cannot see anything wrong.
Apparently they are waiting on word from KTM in regards to the next step.

Last edited:

jbrking

Another quick update,

Have finally heard something from KTM customer service..
They were apologetic about the delay in communication and explained that inspection as a whole was extensive and approved fir warranty coverage.
No damage apparent to the engine.

They have instructed Teammoto to reassemble the motorcycle and to create a warranty claim in the online dealer system.
I have also been offered an extension on my warranty due to be inconvenienced with the bike being off the road for the last few weeks.

Good to see that KTM are standing behind their product..

-Jared

John390

no apparent damage to the engine? Did they explain where they think all that metal is coming from??

The last 30 or so times I have seen that much sparkle in engine oil, the engine was either scrapped, replaced or rebuilt. Period. No miracle oil treatments or witchcraft will fix it.

I would like to be wrong, but I will wait and see what develops.

jbrking

Hey John,

They did not mention exactly what was wrong with the bike. They only said that the inspection which was covered under warranty was extensive. Also; no mention of where the debris came from. Now apparently Teammoto Virginia have ordered parts which are on backorder and someone mentioned one of these parts was a head gasket kit. Lets just say that I will be putting the bike through its paces for the 1000km of extended coverage..

They have had the bike for almost 2 months now.

@Falkon45
Its a 2015

-Jared

Last edited:

jbrking

Hi John,

They did not explain the debris present in the oil; only mentioning that the inspection which was carried out under warranty was extensive.
Now Teammoto Virginia are waiting on parts which are on backorder.. One of the mechanics mentioned they are waiting on a head gasket kit.
The bike has been sitting with the mechanics for almost 2 months now.

@Falkon45 its a 2015

-Jared

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I purchased this motorcycle from a Teammoto dealership in Bowen Hills..
When purchased it had only a few thousand kilometres on the odometer.

I had owned it for a few months and put roughly 2000km on this machine.
I then took it to a independent mechanic who also service my Ducati 848 as I have had bad experiences with Teammoto mechanics.
The mechanics I took it to dumped the oil and this is what they found suggesting the engine is on its way out.

That to ME looks like the oil had never been changed, including for the initial 1000km service interval. Some of that metal looks EXACTLY like chips from a machining operation. It's not been uncommon for guys to find chips left over from the machining of the cases. We've even seen guys finding long stringy chips from drilling operations stuck to their screens. You can also see small parts of either clutch and/or gasket material. I wouldn't have worried about it unless the NEXT oil change showed similar. Ride hard, change your oil often. :)

jbrking

Formula390,

I guess with it being a Teammoto motorcycle I should probably shouldn't be surprised.
One would hope that they would pick up on something like this during their quality 49-point inspection that speak so highly of.
Have spoken to KTM who tells me the part that the shop is waiting on should have landed earlier this week.
The bike has been with the Teammoto Virginia branch for nearly 10 weeks now.

-Jared

jbrking

I'm told that they couldn't find anything wrong with the engine.
Engine has been completed rebuilt and I have finally collected my bike last Friday 7/12/18.
No issues to speak of just yet..

-Jared

That to ME looks like the oil had never been changed, including for the initial 1000km service interval. Some of that metal looks EXACTLY like chips from a machining operation. It's not been uncommon for guys to find chips left over from the machining of the cases. We've even seen guys finding long stringy chips from drilling operations stuck to their screens. You can also see small parts of either clutch and/or gasket material. I wouldn't have worried about it unless the NEXT oil change showed similar. Ride hard, change your oil often. :)

I bought my bike from an auction and first thing I did was change the oil and filters.
This is similar to what I found in the screen near the gear lever. It worried the crap out of me at the time!
I change oil every 500km or so as its a track race bike now and since the first change its been clean as.
I suspect the original owner never cleaned the screen near the gear leaver as there are two screens and drain points
So hopefully its just some Indian grit and machining chips and silicon from the factory.