3rd Gear Indicator

rc_Guy

I just noticed on my RC that when I shift to 3rd the gear indicator on the dash doesn't indicate 3rd. Its blank and just flashes. Is this normal?

For all the other gears I can see the correct gears, just 3rd gear isn't shown when in 3rd.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I just noticed on my RC that when I shift to 3rd the gear indicator on the dash doesn't indicate 3rd. Its blank and just flashes. Is this normal?

For all the other gears I can see the correct gears, just 3rd gear isn't shown when in 3rd.

No, not normal. Mine always shows 0 for neutral or 1 - 6,
From looking at the wiring diagram the transmission has a switch with an output for each postion going to the display. What does it flash or what flashes?

Fasteddy

rc_Guy

When shifting into 3rd, 3 is not indicated and the word gear below flashes. I have a video of it but its too big to up load. Will try to upload it

ryandalling

I get that when I miss a shift when going clutchless on the upshifts... so I do see that occasionally and some times I have to blip the throttle and re kick it to get it to click up.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I get that when I miss a shift when going clutchless on the upshifts... so I do see that occasionally and some times I have to blip the throttle and re kick it to get it to click up.

Thats interesting, I haven't seen mine do that yet but it makes sense. The switch grounds a wire for each selected position, so maybe he has a open connection somewhere or bad switch.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Just to get this in the correct thread....

I was able to recreate exactly what you described with the "gear" flashing, I slowly pulled the shifter up from neutral to 2nd with engine not running and presto...

So might want to check wiring connections, I just checked to be sure 3rd gear is a yellow wire with no tracer...

bkruk

I don't have the same problem but something similar......when on a long ride and I downshift from sixth to fifth it will show 3 and won't reset till the bike is turned off and then on, first service very soon so will have dealer take a look

rc_Guy

Just to get this in the correct thread....

I was able to recreate exactly what you described with the "gear" flashing, I slowly pulled the shifter up from neutral to 2nd with engine not running and presto...

So might want to check wiring connections, I just checked to be sure 3rd gear is a yellow wire with no tracer...

any idea on where these wiring connections might be?

rc_Guy

i think i figured it it out. if you hold the clutch lever in all the way and shift, the gear indicator wont light up. but if you pull the clutch in but not all the way and then shift it will show the gear you are in. i'd say mystery solved. thanks for all the help though!

Fasteddy

Country flag
any idea on where these wiring connections might be?

Back of instrument cluster, then it goes to a Male / Female connector I think on right side under faring, then another M/F connector that is on the left side of the engine and looks like it comes out behind the cylinder. I am going by the connections shown on the wiring diagram / parts diagram and some of what I was looking at earlier today as my cluster is becoming loose and I was trying to see why. Spare Parts Finder enter your VIN # and you can go through a pretty detailed diagram, gear selector is under engine cases...

Fasteddy

Country flag
i think i figured it it out. if you hold the clutch lever in all the way and shift, the gear indicator wont light up. but if you pull the clutch in but not all the way and then shift it will show the gear you are in. i'd say mystery solved. thanks for all the help though!

Interesting, I tried to make the same correlation with the clutch but it made no difference, the only time It did not immediately change when shifting was when I purposely held the shifter all the way up and then only occasionally going to second. this was on the rear stand engine running shifting with, without and partially on the clutch.
Also, the clutch switch goes only to the ECU and the 'Starter Interlock' module. The Neutral switch goes to the ECU / Interlock / and Combo instrument, a single wire for gears 123456 goes direct to the combo instrument. So????

rc_Guy

Yeah I have no clue what's going on. I only did that whole the bike was stationary. Will go for a ride later tomorrow to see if its still the same

Fasteddy

Country flag
From looking at the parts diagram the shift drum has a spring loaded contact pin that contacts the gear indicator switch, my guess from the way it looks / electrical schematic / experience is the ground comes from the shift drum and as it rotates around and back through the gears the contact touches the appropriate corresponding point for the selected gear and grounds that wire. My first thought when the clutch came into the picture is that for some mechanical reason the drum looses contact when the clutch is engaged all the way,,,