About that turbo..

Hypoint

So.. After doing the tiniest bit of research at the turbo kit that was made for our bikes, I saw that thE turbo they used can be bought on eBay and other places for about 250. One site I went to sells the clone for 300 and with the oil cooler and etc it comes out to be 400. My question is, how feasible would it be for someone to try out t on their bike? I'm thinking about doing it while on vaca in Florida..shouldn't be too hard right? Lol

Ryanthegreat1

That "kit" was nowhere near complete in the release photos. No wastegate, no oil feed, no oil return, no intercooler. Vaporware as far as I can tell.

Can it be done? Sure! Going to be a hell of a lot more money than just $400 for the turbo. Probably be closer to $1500-2000 once it is ready to ride.

simpletty

Country flag
add a 20 shot of nitrous while your at it. Im sure it will be good for one shot and the top will pop off the piston. Unlikely adding boost to this bike will be of much good, the internals will not hold up over time, the heating issue with the single combined with boost pressure will make for head issues fairly soon in my estimation.

stevieboy

Country flag
That "kit" was nowhere near complete in the release photos. No wastegate, no oil feed, no oil return, no intercooler. Vaporware as far as I can tell.

Can it be done? Sure! Going to be a hell of a lot more money than just $400 for the turbo. Probably be closer to $1500-2000 once it is ready to ride.

Can it be done? Probably. The real question is "WHY". Its a 400cc single for crying out loud!

ToraTora

Country flag
Turbos are amazing, and super fun. Most of the cars I've owned have been Turbos (Saabs). The thing with adding a turbo to a normally aspirated engine is that you can't just slap a turbo on and call it a day. Turbo engines have major differences from the normally aspirated engine--a big one being much lower compression. Which means you should be running a different piston, or head to achieve the lower compression.

But like the other cats are saying this engine really isn't developed for that sort of stress. You'll have to do a lot of work on it to make it a reliable system. But like I said Turbos are amazing!

DeathFromAbove

Stronger crank, forged rod, lower compression, stiffer valve springs, larger fuel injector, proper tune, heat issues, broken gearbox part parts, more complexity, added weight, not to mention cost. Anything is possible....

Hypoint

You're right. The thing is, I'm a turbo lover. My cars twin turbo'd and I love it! I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and after seeing what Ari did on the track, I fell in love all over again with my bike. Yes it will take a LOT of time, energy, effort and not to mention benjamins to get it right but I'm down for it all. There's just nothing like a turbo lol

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
That is one of the worst installs/conglomerations I've ever seen! 80hp where's the dyno proof :confused:

Hypoint

I was dying watching the vid. Like, yes it would be awesome but how in the world do you move? I'm guessing that 80 hp was a made up number. I doubt he can get a decent number of pulls