aftermarket rad

mdabyo

Country flag
I destroyed my Rad in a big crash at my last race round. Before i buy a new one thought i would see if anyone is running any aftermarkets? how are they working out?

isaac_

Wow... that’s hard to do on this bike given how narrow it is... must have been knarly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdabyo

Country flag
ya, guy behind me went off the track, across the grass and T-bones me mid corner. Good time, lucky he hit in front of my leg and i only injured my hand, but his tire destroyed the fill neck on the rad.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
ya, guy behind me went off the track, across the grass and T-bones me mid corner. Good time, lucky he hit in front of my leg and i only injured my hand, but his tire destroyed the fill neck on the rad.

OUCH!!! Having been one to have accidentally taken an off track course which intersected with tarmac again, I feel for you, and the other rider. It's terrifying to be rolling across the grass, unable to change direction or slow, while looking over your shoulder BEGGING somebody isn't there when that trigonometry equation solves. I was lucky enough to grab a HUGE handful of brakes once my tire hit pavement again, and practically did an endo trying to avoid the other riders. Sucks when that sort of thing is the result tho. :(

If it were me, and my racer, I'd just pick up a used rad off eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rc390+radiator

Plenty to pick from for quite reasonable prices. Best price I'm seeing here is $34, delivered! His listing isn't doing him any favors, but that's a RC390 (and Duke390) radiator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332657147346
He's just having a bit of listing difficulty where he's ALSO saying it's off a SuperDuke 990. It's not. Grab the used one for $34, and get back on the track is my vote.

I just bought a bike to race here in Australia and while running it in I noticed the bike runs right up near the top of the temp gauge and even a short stop and the fan comes on.

I have been told that other racers here have had problems with over heating. In fact one team here has found a fix for it but they won’t tell anyone else what it is..... including ktm. Who asked them and they said bugger off.

I have just ordered the radiator kit off the 2018 RC390 R ktm homologated race bike. It’s an additional radiator kit made by febur Italy and costs aust $1000which is about euro 600.

However I would love to know if anyone here knows what the fix may be to make them run cooler.

I guess that no one else is having an issue with temperature. Anyway, a race team here has given me a few tips from their race RC390 so I'll try them.

Andy

Country flag
I've fitted Samco hoses, high pressure rad cap and using Motul coolant noticed that despite getting hot it's way better than the stock setup. Also cools quicker once shutdown.

Fitting the SPAL fan helps as well, also I've removed the rubber skirt and plastic rad shield to improve the air flow around the engine.

I read somewhere that some are fitting the 690 radiator as it's slightly bigger, I've thought about whether it's possible to plumb in a motocross setup so two rads on each side?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I've fitted Samco hoses, high pressure rad cap and using Motul coolant noticed that despite getting hot it's way better than the stock setup. Also cools quicker once shutdown.

Fitting the SPAL fan helps as well, also I've removed the rubber skirt and plastic rad shield to improve the air flow around the engine.

I read somewhere that some are fitting the 690 radiator as it's slightly bigger, I've thought about whether it's possible to plumb in a motocross setup so two rads on each side?

It's a 390. Cooling is something we have to be always on top of, but the stock cooler is sufficient. I wouldn't recommend going with dual rads on the side. It's pretty tight in there, and you would ROAST your knees and legs. Plus, while these things crash remarkably well, they don't crash SO well as to protect a radiator between the bodywork and the frame. The secondary rad for the oil cooler is what the WSS300 guys are running. I would expect the techs in Mattighofen explored lots of various ideas before deciding on going that route. Second guessing the factory with this bike is generally a recipe for introducing more problems than you're solving.

thanks andy for the info. I have been given a few tips by a race team here and once I test them I will let you guys know what the GO is.

Tom

Tack, can you makes some notes for us on why the auxiliary radiator cant be run with a fan on the primary? Is it an issue of space? I'm wondering if possibly re-routing some hoses or a thinner/smaller fan could still be used on the primary.