And then it went boom - betting blown head gasket again

Edwardp33

Country flag
2015 RC390 9087 miles mostly track. Last 4000 miles were exclusively track. I went to roll on the throttle - pin actually it’s an RC so much fun - and then there was this loud pop and engine seemed to lose compression. Now it won’t start. Betting it is a second blown head gasket. Local dealer TJ’s in Austin said they would likely warranty it. The last service manager said that if it blew again KTM would warranty the repair. That was when the bike was already 4 months out of warranty. Will post the resolution. Dropping it off tomorrow.

Besides the quirks of this bike it is an awesome track bike when set up correctly. So much fun, good torque, super nimble and forgiving, slides well, crashes well, and it doesn’t eat tires. I am still a fan after 3 years and 9000 miles.

BIG shout out to Matt at Formula 390 and at Chad at Commonwealth for all the support for me and the 390 riders.

didnt Commonwealth run the Smokin Joe’s team back in the day????

Last edited:

zaster

Country flag
Mine did the same at less than 1K. My dealer had to do a total upper engine rebuild.
After 10K it is still going strong and any of my friends that had a chance to ride it on the street or track want one as well.
Love my little bike, no regrets.

Edwardp33

Country flag
I'm a bonehead. The issue was a lose spark plug cable. Instead of checking it first, which I thought I had - duh. I dropped off my opinion and my motorcycle at the dealer because I was too busy with work and travel to unload and check again. So, thanks to my insistence on the blown head gasket idea, the dealer, ran a compression test, pulled codes, removed the gas tank, and fixed the problem. This maneuver earned me the right to pay for 2 hours of labor.

Now you have been warned - don't be like me