Bazzaz vs PCV

kcramp

I feel like I made a mistake -- I purchased a Bazzaz and feel as if I should have gotten the PCV instead. I do not think the Bazzaz does ignition timing, while the PCV does. The Bazzaz uses an o2 eliminator, but the PCV uses an o2 emulator.

What are everyone's thoughts on the two? Are the differences that dramatic in terms of performance? Dramatic enough that I should just eat the Bazzaz money and order a PCV?

I feel like I made a mistake -- I purchased a Bazzaz and feel as if I should have gotten the PCV instead. I do not think the Bazzaz does ignition timing, while the PCV does. The Bazzaz uses an o2 eliminator, but the PCV uses an o2 emulator.

What are everyone's thoughts on the two? Are the differences that dramatic in terms of performance? Dramatic enough that I should just eat the Bazzaz money and order a PCV?

All I can say about this is I ditched my Bazzaz and purchased the PCV from Chad with maps and made a huge difference

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

The bazzaz does not do ignition timing which the 390 greatly benefits from and the O2 sensor must be retained if you want it to run right...

kcramp

The bazzaz does not do ignition timing which the 390 greatly benefits from and the O2 sensor must be retained if you want it to run right...

Chad,

For a street rider, will I see that huge of a difference to justify wasting 300 bucks on the bazzaz?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Chad,

For a street rider, will I see that huge of a difference to justify wasting 300 bucks on the bazzaz?

I can't answer that for you, BUT it seems to me you are unhappy with current state of the bike. Enough so you started a thread about it. The rest of members weighed in all in one direction too. What is done to the bike modification wise?

Obviously this thread is going to be fairly biased based on people's preference. For those that want a little more out of their street bike I would say the PCV is a good choice. Once you get to preference on the track then it gets a little more complicated. Correct the Bazzaz does not adjust ignition timing it is solely based on air fuel ratio. They both offer quick shifters as well as self mapping systems. The Bazzaz quick shifter cuts the ignition for a split second while the PCV shuts fuel I believe. I know I didn't really answer your question but it basically comes down to preference, I think both products are great and both have their pros and cons. Their are also other systems out there but obviously these are the most common.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Obviously this thread is going to be fairly biased based on people's preference. For those that want a little more out of their street bike I would say the PCV is a good choice. Once you get to preference on the track then it gets a little more complicated. Correct the Bazzaz does not adjust ignition timing it is solely based on air fuel ratio. They both offer quick shifters as well as self mapping systems. The Bazzaz quick shifter cuts the ignition for a split second while the PCV shuts fuel I believe. I know I didn't really answer your question but it basically comes down to preference, I think both products are great and both have their pros and cons. Their are also other systems out there but obviously these are the most common.

The PCV gives you the option to cut fuel, ignition, or both for quick shifter. There is way more important details than just that regarding the two units.

kcramp

I can't answer that for you, BUT it seems to me you are unhappy with current state of the bike. Enough so you started a thread about it. The rest of members weighed in all in one direction too. What is done to the bike modification wise?

I have only done the lid mod in terms of performance, the rest are cosmetics.

Seeing the huge amounts of raving reviews about your PCV are killing me -- but I would be even less happy if it didn't make that much of a difference compared to the bazzaz, and then I was out another $350, yknow? I am between a rock and a hard place!

I don't know what I am expecting though, honestly, as this is my first new bike (I come from cafes).

The PCV gives you the option to cut fuel, ignition, or both for quick shifter. There is way more important details than just that regarding the two units.
Agreed I'm sure there are plenty of details I left out, I was simply giving a short version of the differences between the two that I knew of. I didn't know the PCV cut ignition as well with the quick shifter, I must have misread. Thank you for the info and maybe you could explain in more detail for those that don't know.

D

Deleted member 452

I ran the Akra map with an open lid and it was too lean. The Akra map was an improvement with the OEM lid but it still had a lean surge at low RPMs. Chad's PCV map for the open airbox literally transformed my bike and I can't recommend it enough! The biggest difference is in midrange and that it's so much smoother for cruising or when you're stuck in stop & go traffic.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Wouldn't the Akra map just make it too rich? I only have a stock exhaust..
You will want the Akra map either way as that's the starting point for the PCv maps Chad creates. Then once you have the PCv you have any option for future changes.

Basically, any changes to intake require fuel mapping changes to correct the lean conditions. The PCv will transform your bike to be sure.

There's a REASON nobody who is putting their bikes on the podium are running the bazz. It was a short term fix some used while waiting for the PCv. Nothing more.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have a PCV map for stock ktm map in ecu, open lid, with K&N filter, and stock exhaust. Makes GREAT gains over stock. That was one of the threads on dobr's original tune before the "light build". The akra map is not needed in kcramp's case...

kcramp

I have a PCV map for stock ktm map in ecu, open lid, with K&N filter, and stock exhaust. Makes GREAT gains over stock. That was one of the threads on dobr's original tune before the "light build". The akra map is not needed in kcramp's case...

Any sales coming up soon? :cool: