big_sur's Race Build

micahpearlman

There is a 300mm option (KTM Store :: KTM Street Powerparts :: 390 DUKE :: Brakes :: KTM 390 WAVE BRAKE DISK 300MM) which is the same diameter as stock. For me the brake fade wasn't too terrible with the stock setup, I switched because I was running a super bike build this season (though now thinking of going back into a production setup for next season) and just thought might as well... just money... lots and lots of money... Brakes just slow you down anyhow...

big_sur

Yeah, I have that 300mm floating one. It helped with feel, but still getting fade. Hopefully the pads and fluid will help some.

big_sur

Kind of slacking on the report here but it was another good weekend. I got my first expert class win in Ultralight Endurance which was sweet and took a second in Formula Colorado. I also got two 2nd's in Production Cup and I feel like I'm on pace with the defending champ so that's positive. The bike did great, the only remaining issue is I discovered I'm still dragging the exhaust in a place or two. I'm going to reach out to Arrow and see if they've come up with a better design yet. Other than that, I ended up going up 2 in the back given the short straight and it worked out well. Definitely a bit of adjustment with all the back torque but the bike was killin it on the straights.

2016-07-11%2017.41.30.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

13725018_1086651074751555_8786839419045912277_o.jpg

13719454_1086651081418221_8896023898122326631_o.jpg

13701164_1086651498084846_8995092755478100652_o.jpg

big_sur

Video from Sunday's Prod Cup race...
[video=youtube;MKwnBCor_C0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKwnBCor_C0[/video]

green_bread

Country flag
I too know the frustrations of bouncing off the rev limiter while chasing/drafting a Ninja 300 down the straight.... and finishing second to one. Nice job!

big_sur

It's an R3 and I'd like to complain it's a faster bike, but honestly the RC probably has a slight edge with its torque. Dude has 13 years of racing experience, including Superstock 1000 down at COTA this year riding with Elias, Hayden, Hayes, Herrin, etc so the truth is he's probably just a faster rider at this point. A couple more rounds and we might get there though :)

tecknojoe

Country flag
It's an R3 and I'd like to complain it's a faster bike, but honestly the RC probably has a slight edge with its torque. Dude has 13 years of racing experience, including Superstock 1000 down at COTA this year riding with Elias, Hayden, Hayes, Herrin, etc so the truth is he's probably just a faster rider at this point. A couple more rounds and we might get there though :)

Meh, I think you're past the newb mistake stage now. You'll probly snag a win here soon.

I should have a definitive answer on R3 vs RC390 after getting a full tune on the same dyno.... by tonight. I'm gonna predict the RC having 3 more HP though. :confused:

green_bread

Country flag
At least youre realistic about it! A lot of other people wouldnt be. If you keep battling it out with him like that, youre sure to improve.

My situation is a little different. Im faster than the kid on the Ninja 300 through the corners but hes able to make up bus lengths in some straights because his bike just has that much more top end. Of course, Im still on stock gearing and need to to something about that....

big_sur

So latest results from the last round:
Sat Prod Cup – Pole & 1st
Lightweight GP – 5th
Ultralight Endurance—1st
Sun Prod Cup – Pole & 1st
Formula Colorado – 1st

Saturday production cup I qualified on pole and had a good battle going with the defending champ (vid below), but the race got red flagged with him in front; luckily, I was in front when the last lap was called though so I got my first Production Cup victory. Lightweight GP was kind of lonely but I ended up 5th, which isn’t too bad having literally half the horsepower of the 650s. UltraLight Endurance was good, I kind of hung out behind the tail end of the Lightweight Endurance crowd and got another win in Ultralight.
Sunday rolled around and I put the RC on pole again for Production cup. I finally learned some patience and cruised around behind Hammer, but I thought I blew my whole strategy with a missed shift and blown turn 1 on the last lap which gave him a pretty solid cushion going into 3. I ended up putting in some work and caught back up by turn 10 to set up a race to the finish line. I got killer drive coming out of the chicane and beat hammer to the line by 0.11 for my second Prod Cup win of the weekend.
Last race of the weekend and I had an epic battle going on with a supermoto in Formula Colorado but I think he had some sort of mechanical so he ended up dropping back on the last couple of laps and I got in my fourth win of the weekend.
Bikewise, I went back to 45 gearing from the 46 I was running previously on this track. It keeps the revs a bit lower which allows me to both stay in the power and be smoother. I also moved the pegs all the way up and back on the rearsets. This seems to have fixed my toe dragging problem for the most part and allows a little more lean angle but it's also scraping the exhaust again even higher up this time. Basically just waiting to wear through the exhaust at this point. I've had good luck with Arrow stuff in the past but their exhaust for this bike is just poorly designed.

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

12593613_1047330482028964_6131978173746864667_o%201.jpg

2016-08-07%2016.40.24_1.jpg

[video=youtube;0isb6ljIZ2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0isb6ljIZ2k[/video]

unicorn_violence

i was pretty stoked to hear over the intercom when you and Joe got 1st and 2nd in formula Colorado. giving the bigger bikes a run for their money!

big_sur

Yeah man, it worked out this past round, but I think a 690 would make things a lot easier. Now I just need to find a solid sponsor to hook it up.