R&D Testing and ECU Reverse Engineering

btalont

Country flag
This is exciting. I would love to get rid of the Bazzaz for flashed ecu.my bike won't idle for crap...and mine is primarily a track bike now with occasional street. I would be willingto ay for this as well! Great work!

Closed loop is below 8000 RPM and below 65% TPS.
This is why I'lm a bit reluctant to PCV : if we increase fueling in closed loop area, it will work at first dyno test, but the ECU will learn it's richer than expected and will remove fuel everywhere (even full load)
This is at least on the ECU I know well.
So I would prefer an ECU tuning, as Tune ECU SW.

D

Deleted member 452

I sent him an email 6 months ago asking him to let me know when he figures out how to flash the ECU using the diagnostic port but haven't heard from him.

streetfighter

I sent him an email 6 months ago asking him to let me know when he figures out how to flash the ECU using the diagnostic port but haven't heard from him.

I sent him a number of emails over the past few months, same, no reply. I guess the project is dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN Duke

Country flag
Josh is selling his RC390... https://bozeman.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2016-ktm-rc-390-rc390/6438475632.html

He posted it for sale in the FB RC390 group, commented " [FONT=&quot]Josh Dank Also, probably the only custom flashed RC390 ECU in the country... Definitely the only KTM 390 offered with custom tuning options available at asking price
1f609.png
;)

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]"
Asked him if he was going to be still working on the tuning and he replied "[FONT=&quot]I still have a spare ECU. I just haven't had a lot of time to work on the project lately. I'd still like to offer something... Just need more time in the day."

[/FONT]
That was a couple months ago (7 wks).

D

Deleted member 452

I've also seen his posts on Facebook for dyno work on cars and I'm sure that's a lot more profitable than working with a handful of 390 owners. We probably won't hear from him now that he doesn't own one of our bikes.

Mr 6 speed

Ecu tunning

Hey guys, I wanted to start a thread about what I'm working on for tuning the RC390/Duke 390. I'll start with a little about me before I get into the details so you know my background.

I finished school in 2008 and was excited to start a career at a major tuning company. Since then I've worked for 3 different automotive/motorcycle tuning companies as an ECU Reverse Engineer and also own my own LLC where I do mostly e-tuning for German cars and Subarus. I love what I do, so the first thing I look at with a new vehicle is tuning options. I bought a Audi A4 about 2 years ago and immediately got to work on the ECU so I could tune it. As of now, it is running around double the stock horsepower with all upgrades, tuning, and ECU work done by myself. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago... I bought a 2016 RC390. I was excited to pull it apart and find a Bosch ME17 ECU, so I decided to start working on it as a side project.

First step was to get a read of the factory ECU image. Full disclosure, I actually bought a Duke 390 ECU on Ebay to try it on first:

View attachment 4138

Next, I started working on the assembly code and finding tables. I'm extremely familiar with Bosch ECUs, so I made pretty quick work of the main things I was looking for and started on defining some of the less obvious (but no less important) tables. So far I've done pretty well, but there are still quite a few things to test. As a side note, the Duke 390 ECU had exactly the same tuning and addressing as the RC390 (expected, but nice to verify). Here's a sample of what I've found so far:

View attachment 4139

View attachment 4140

Next, I wanted to verify as much as I could without having a real logging option for RAM values. I created a base flash, calculated the proper checksums, and wrote it to the ECU. The bike started and I was able to verify the rev limit and fan temp tables. Always satisfying when a vehicle fires up after an initial test flash, so I wanted more. In order to have some external control and logging, I decided to install a Power Commander 5, Auto-Tune with Wideband, and a POD device to log injector duty cycle, AFR, etc.

View attachment 4141

Watching the Wideband AFR at idle, I could see that everything was working, but the ECU was trying to fight a bit while in closed loop. I decided that I trust a wideband a lot more than an OEM narrowband O2, so I created a new ECU file which forced the ECU into open loop all the time. I also set the ECU AFR targets to what I thought would be as close as possible to perfect without dyno testing. I then set the PC5/Auto-tune AFR targets to the same and enabled auto-tune. This means that my bike is now running full-time open loop through the ECU, but the Auto-tune is providing full time closed loop fuel control with wideband O2 feedback. So far I'm very happy with the changes.

My plan is to throw the bike on the dyno Sunday and see where she sits as a baseline for further tuning/mods. I have an exhaust on the way thanks to Superpacman13 so I'll want to calibrate for that once installed. I also haven't played with ignition advance at all yet, so I'm sure that will net some gains once I'm on the dyno and can do some solid testing.

Anywho, just wanted to share my little project. Happy to answer questions if you have any. Also, I've only had the bike for a few weeks, so let me know of any quirks I should look out for that could be fixed via ECU tuning. :)

Belated congratulations Mr Josh dank.
I am sahil Naik from Goa India. Age 16, did my schooling.want to start ecu tunning can you help?