BMC Air FIlter Warning

Buildable

A word of warning to anyone in with the Australian model bikes, I don't know if this applies to the American or European bikes, the BMC air filter is NOT suitable for the RC390!

The BMC air filter is made from a hard non-compressible plastic whereas the K&N and stock filter are made from a compressible material. This means that as your bike moves around on the road the two halves of the airbox are going to be forced away from each other causing the airbox to split away from the body of the bike (you can see photos of this on my thread on engine performance). This means air is sucked into the engine around the air filter!!

Hopefully this thread will help save you the pain of replacing / fixing your own airboxes!

zaster

Country flag
Good call Buildable. I just installed mine and it did not want to fit in the box without applying significant down force.
I laid some 100 grit sandpaper on the edge of my workbench and moved the filter lengthwise across the paper while holding it in place.
After 10 minutes I had removed the raised company logo on one side and just a little on the other to make it a perfect fit.
The length seemed to be fine.

Buildable

After replacing my throttle body i've switched the filter over to K&N. No issues so far after 6 months or so of daily driving. Can't recommend it enough.