Check Side Stand Bolts!

Diploman

If Blue Locktite won't hold the side stand bolts securely (there have been a couple of reports to this effect) the next level is to use Schnoor safety washers with blue Locktite. Schnoor washers have extraordinary grip and keep bolts under tension. They are what you use when a bolt absolutely must not come loose.

Safety Washers - Schnorr

Greg

Hello. Just joined the forum to share my experience with this problem. My RC is 9 months old from new and my side stand bolt came out after a short ride, Parked up and put the bike on the stand it kept on leaning towards me. thought I was going to drop it The stand is extremely lose! Yet only one bolt has come out. The bracket bolt looks like it has "snapped out" it has flat threads and threads from where it bolts into have come with it.

From what you have all said, it seems to be that over time they vibrate out

Anyone else have this problem?

Diploman

Given the Heavy torque loads the sidestand bolts are subjected to, it would not be surprising to find damage - stretching/ deformation/partial or full stripping - of the sidestand bolt holes. Deformation of the bolt hole threads may be a contributing factor to loosening of the bolts. If the bolt hole threads are in fact compromised, there is a fix: The holes must be drilled out and retapped to receive a steel insert such as a Helicoil or Timesert. Then the sidestand can be secured with new bolts, blue Locktite and Schnorr washers. Thus repaired, there is very little likelihood of further loosening.

Wire Thread Inserts | Screw Thread Inserts | Stanley Engineered Fastening

++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs,

Dygear

No you are not. I've gotta kick up the peg with my heel before I can kick the stand down. My left boot heel is getting worn. Lol.

I actually like that, I know exactly where to put my foot down right away, because that's where my foot rests otherwise.

Treachery

Country flag
I'm a little confoozed by this thread. I'll admit that I go check about every other time the thread comes up. Here's the confusion: The bracket to which the sidestand bolts is secured by two fasteners: One threads into the engine case, the other is a through bolt with a nut on the other end. Those two should not come loose at the same time. The sidestand itself is secured at the pivot by one bolt, with what feels like a self-locking nut on the back. Am I incorrect on that? I'll take the collective word on that, because I don't wanna go shinny under the bike to look. What's coming loose?

green_bread

Country flag
I'm a little confoozed by this thread. I'll admit that I go check about every other time the thread comes up. Here's the confusion: The bracket to which the sidestand bolts is secured by two fasteners: One threads into the engine case, the other is a through bolt with a nut on the other end. Those two should not come loose at the same time. The sidestand itself is secured at the pivot by one bolt, with what feels like a self-locking nut on the back. Am I incorrect on that? I'll take the collective word on that, because I don't wanna go shinny under the bike to look. What's coming loose?

There are two bolts that hold the kickstand bracket to the rearset. The bolts youre talking about are for the rearset, itself, not the kickstand bracket. In the illustration below, the two bolts (#8) that go through the plate (#2) are what fasten the kickstand to the rearset bracket. These are the bolts that are coming loose/stripping out.

kt0315038003.gif

Treachery

Country flag
Okay, I have been looking at it wrong. They appear to thread in from the back, would that be correct? Reckon I need to shinny under there when I get home!

green_bread

Country flag
They appear to thread in from the back, would that be correct?

That is correct. The one nearest the rear of the bike can thread all the way out but the one nearest the front of the bike will usually hit the stock muffler before it falls out. This is what I believe is causing the threads to strip out.

simpletty

Country flag
Loose stand

my side stand is loose and when I went to check it the bolts were tight. I think the sidestand mounting to the actual bike came loose, its at the dealer still so I cant check it anyway. But I do remember that whole bracket assembly moving very easily.

Seth

Country flag
Screenshot_2016-07-15-22-18-08[1].jpgScreenshot_2016-07-15-22-18-44[1].jpg KTM shot shows the spline for the shifter. The other shot is the bolts that come loose next to the exhaust. Excuse the low grad pics, I cannot upload a 2.31 mb photo for some reason. Anyway pics shot with the dumb front camera of the Note 5.

Last edited:

Seth

Country flag
Hope the pictures help! Crawling under the bike is a snap compared to any vehicle Ive ever owned, especially the Mini Truck from back-in-the-day!

74d34h

I've twice had to tighten the actually shift rod on the RC390, second time was just this morning. The bolts vibrated loose and I guess the rod is loosening. Crazy. The first time it was ridiculously loose and my wife kept complaining about shifting problems with the bike. She thought it was the clutch, no it was the shift rod.

I just want to take a moment to bitch about how much I hate the placement of the bolts on this freaking side stand.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 7.13.39 PM.jpg

Two screws - #5 in that pic - I can access the rearmost one just by reaching under the bike, but the forward one is so close to the side stand sensor I have no idea how I am supposed to access it without removing the freaking swingarm nut (#4) This is an insane amount of disassembly work to fix a problem I am now having very frequently (side stand bolts coming loose). Anyone have a tip for how to reach the two bolts without taking the whole damn side stand off?

cameronc56

Damn, I noticed my sidestand being really wobbly, i checked and they were completely loose. And i'm only at ~250 miles on my '17...