Check Side Stand Bolts!

sturge

Approx 1000 miles on new bike...today noticed sidestand seemed loose when we stopped for a bite. Crawled under for a close look and discovered the two bolts that mount it had backed waaay out allowing the entire stand assy to have lots of free movement. Luckily, the tool bag had the right spanner and I was able to snug them up. Easy fix but would have sucked with no tools because I was about 60 miles from home. I'm thinking another 50 miles or so and there's a good chance at least one of the bolts would have worked it's way out. Who knows what would have happened with the sidestand unexpectedly coming loose and flopping around while riding...

MrGrody

Approx 1000 miles on new bike...today noticed sidestand seemed loose when we stopped for a bite. Crawled under for a close look and discovered the two bolts that mount it had backed waaay out allowing the entire stand assy to have lots of free movement. Luckily, the tool bag had the right spanner and I was able to snug them up. Easy fix but would have sucked with no tools because I was about 60 miles from home. I'm thinking another 50 miles or so and there's a good chance at least one of the bolts would have worked it's way out. Who knows what would have happened with the sidestand unexpectedly coming loose and flopping around while riding...
Thanks for the post, that would sucked.

Ynike99

This had happened to me at around same mileage. And the are was all covered with gunk falling down through chain. I got it clean, loctited the bolts, and tightened everything back. I have done about 2-3k miles post this, no issues whatsoever now.

MrGrody

Random side note... am I the only one completely annoyed with the kickstand location? As in where it has to be "kicked" to be lowered ?

Willasan

Random side note... am I the only one completely annoyed with the kickstand location? As in where it has to be "kicked" to be lowered ?
No you are not. I've gotta kick up the peg with my heel before I can kick the stand down. My left boot heel is getting worn. Lol.

MrGrody

No you are not. I've gotta kick up the peg with my heel before I can kick the stand down. My left boot heel is getting worn. Lol.
Same here. Gotta move peg everytime. First ride looked like I was trying to Kickstart a dirt bike figuring out the stand.

paige

i had the same thing happen to me! went to put my kickstand down and it was hanging on my a thread!

morssolis

Was getting off bike and it shifted when weight went to the stand, took a look and what do you know, stand is about to fall off. This is a safety issue, and KTM should be doing something about this. If one bolt falls out when riding and the stand swivels down, what will happen? If the stand fails when someone is trying to get off the bike, there is a chance the bike will fall on top of someone.

sturge

Nothing new here...it's a motorcycle...it vibrates and sh*t loosens up....been that way for a looong time. I've owned a Harley for 12 years and learned to keep an eye on things...my well being depends on it! If you expect someone else to 'do something about it' instead of taking control of the situation yourself you will increase your chances to become another statistic. Forums like this allow us to share info to help each other better understand what to look out for. Personally, I concluded a long time ago that any dealer (car or bike) is out to do one thing...MAKE MONEY.

sturge

Checking now regularly...found stand had worked its way loose again after todays ride so this appears to be a regular item to check. Definately question why KTM did not use lock washers for these bolts. Decided to use Blue Loc-tite this time. Of note, can not fully remove the rear bolt without disassy of other components so I threaded out as far as possible and gave exposed threads a squirt of brake clean to remove oil/dirt then applied loc-tite. The forward bolt was able to be removed, cleaned and loc-tite applied.

Treachery

Country flag
Just checked mine, same problem. Is the main bolt that allows it to swing out supposed to be slightly loose as well?

I didn't find the bolt loose, but there's some inboard-outboard play in the pivot that appears to be built-in.

Checking now regularly...found stand had worked its way loose again after todays ride so this appears to be a regular item to check. Definately question why KTM did not use lock washers for these bolts. Decided to use Blue Loc-tite this time. Of note, can not fully remove the rear bolt without disassy of other components so I threaded out as far as possible and gave exposed threads a squirt of brake clean to remove oil/dirt then applied loc-tite. The forward bolt was able to be removed, cleaned and loc-tite applied.

Checked mine just now, and they were fine.

74d34h

My wife's RC390 came loose twice, the second time she could not get off the bike until we got home to get it on the pitbull stands. Both bolts were loose. I used blue Loctite and have not had an issue since.

captninja

Country flag
While you are down there, check your shift lever. if it has any play, tighten it even if the bolt seams tight until there is no play. Mine was loose from the factory. The bolt will seem tight, but the fitting is not clamped tight enough on the shaft, Just tighten until all the play is gone. If not the splines could become stripped.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^

Good advice, this. I discovered this when I was installing my shock, and pulling things on the left side for access. It felt snug, but there was axial play on the shift shaft. Strip the splines, and you're spending money...