Columbia River Gorge Oregon

mmk

I'm 16, and I've had my 2017 RC for 3 weeks and I got 1,000 miles on it. I'm in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge and this bike is great for Canyon carving. I love it but I'm wondering if sport bikes in general, because of the riding position, causes neck aches. if I'm on a long ride I have to stop every 30 minutes and move my neck around or it will get really sore. Anyway, looking forward to making friends on here.

Fasteddy

Country flag
For the first oil change sooner is better, how far up he gorge are you? which dealer? and welcome to the forum...

mattv

Country flag
Some possible causes:

Poor helmet visibility. Do you have to lift your head up too far to see out your helmet?

Not relaxed. Are you tense when riding? Try a loose grip on the handlebars, grip the tank with your knees, pay attention to any muscle tenseness in your back or neck. Try your best to stay loose.

You may just need some time to adjust to the riding position as well.

mmk

Thanks for the welcome Fasteddy. I'm in Hood River, and bought bike at Fun Country in The Dalles.

I feel like my helmet is fine, it's just that due to the handlebars being so low, forcing you to ride with your back angled forward, you have to always have your head "looking up" in relation to your back, in order to see ahead very well. However, I will try your tips. Thanks

Fasteddy

Country flag
Gresham Power sports did not exist back then, and I would rather go to the Dalles then do business with the previous KTM dealer in Gresham. I would still go to the Dalles to buy another KTM!
As far as service I do all that myself...

mmk

As far as service I do all that myself...

I want to get to that point, but I don't have the confidence to mess with valves, even with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sScXWEoSqyM great video.

My dad bought his 2017 390 Duke at Gresham Powersports. At the time, he didn't know that Fun Country had KTM bikes. Funny thing, when it was time for his 620 mile service, first he
called Gresham Powersports, and the tech told him the valve check was not necessary, and WAY too early to check them, and that in his many years experience, he has never seen a bike needing valve adjusting at 1st service.
Then he called Fun Country, and they said valve check is mandatory for 1st service. So that is where he took it, valves were ok, cost $420.

Seth

Country flag
I called Gresham for the 1st service as well and the tech said the same thing. Valve check for KTMs is not needed for the first service. In their defense they see the KTM line as Austrian high quality since back in the day. When the new millennial RC390 comes in to the dealer it is misunderstood. Its kinda like being raised with a typewriter and a checkbook vs a smartphone and google.