More overheating issues

D

Deleted member 452

Here's my experience after changing the head gasket & water pump 4K miles ago. My bike always ran 2 bars away from the hot mark before, during, and after the head gasket/water pump replacement. I installed a SPAL fan, high pressure radiator cap, and Engine Ice as preventative maintenance 2K miles ago and now it sometimes runs 1 bar cooler or 1 bar higher (doesn't matter how hot it is outside). The overflow reservoir also pukes coolant and goes from the low mark to the high mark often. I don't think the SPAL fan cools the bike more efficiently than the OEM fan but I don't have CFM #s to prove it and I'm thinking about trying out Evans coolant because it doesn't expand and contract like water/glycol products...

Andy

Country flag
Does the rubber skirt that sits over engine serve any actual purpose, surely it keeps the heat in which can't help cooling issues?

jjtard

Does the rubber skirt that sits over engine serve any actual purpose, surely it keeps the heat in which can't help cooling issues?

I removed mine...it kept pulling the spark plug boot up anyway. It does keep some of the heat in.

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW,
The heat shield / 'bib' is actually a heat dissipating polymer material. It does keep the fuel tank from getting excessive heat....

zaster

Country flag
Just got the bike back from the dealer and they could not find an issue for the previous overheating.
I'll take it through its paces tomorrow to see what's going on.

zaster

Country flag
.....and the saga continues.
I put 80 miles on the bike after getting it back from the dealer and it seemed to run fine.
After it sat for a few weeks, it would not fire up.
The dealer blamed the PCV and said that they couldn't perform warranty work for that reason.
Hence, I uninstalled the PCV and it fired up.
My nephew and I took it out to the track and rode it for less than 50 miles when it started overheating.
It sat for a couple of months due to bad weather and I tried to fire it up....you guessed it, no go.
After many tries it finally ran and I took it for a ride in the city at 50 degree temps.
It overheated within less than 4 miles and when taking off the fairings I found a small leak in the head gasket area.
I received a call from the dealer today that the bike has a head gasket issue.
The frustrating part is that they couldn't figure that out last October and I had to go through all this BS

Last edited:

zaster

Country flag
Got my bike back today and I was amazed about all the items they had to replace.

P1040117.jpgP1040118.jpg

Note the cam sprocket bolt issue

Diploman

As has been noted, the 390's cooling system is quite adequate in design and execution to dissipate the number of BTU's generated by the motor, provided that all the system components are working properly. Overheating is a symptom that one or more of the cooling system components is malfunctioning, as this case demonstrates perfectly.

zaster

Country flag
....and the saga continues.
Took the bike for a 25 mile ride inside the city after checking all the fluids to see how it would perform and if everything was properly functioning.
Just a couple of miles before I got home, the "low oil pressure" message shows up on the dash. The oil level was the same as when I checked it before the ride.
Back to the dealer she goes. :mad:

shreeshar7

....and the saga continues.
Took the bike for a 25 mile ride inside the city after checking all the fluids to see how it would perform and if everything was properly functioning.
Just a couple of miles before I got home, the "low oil pressure" message shows up on the dash. The oil level was the same as when I checked it before the ride.
Back to the dealer she goes. :mad:

Check the evacuation pump stainer.
Another drain bolt under the engine, facing front of the bike. Remove it once you drain oil from mail drain bolt and check how much oil u getting out of this, it could be twisted if not installed properly..check.

zaster

Country flag
Thank you for the advice.
Since it is still under warranty, I dropped it of at the dealership and told them about your suggestion.

zaster

Country flag
Was informed today that the dealer could not replicate the 'low oil pressure' issue and even after receiving a special tool for additional testing, no problem could be found.
The dealer contacted KTM and asked whether there are any known issues that could cause what I experienced and they recommended the replacement of the oil pressure sensor under warranty.
Hopefully I'll have the bike back in a week or so.

zaster

Country flag
Picked up my bike after being fitted with a new oil pressure sensor since they are known to fail occasionally.
Rode it for 60+ miles in city traffic in 60F temps without any issues, the engine temp stayed at least 2 bars below the H.

Diploman

Glad you appear to have things finally sorted out.

A malfunctioning sensor can:
--create a problem where previously there was none; or
--make you believe there is a problem where there actually is none.

zaster

Country flag
Got the PCV with WBC2 reinstalled and what a transformation!
Thanks to Dynojet and Hardracing for the installation videos plus the free inspection and
product replacement.

cazh

motokam, I ordered the fan and will receive it today. my bike was overheating and it shut off "high coolant temperature" 3 times. last night after work it didn't start. any ideas? I'm thinking a fuse or relay, but it could also be that the bike thinks its out of gasoline. any ideas would be much appreciated.