Dunlop Alpha 13`s

bkruk

Put these on yesterday and after scrubbing them in a little was getting into the corners way better than the rossos and no more chicken stripes. They were on sale also for 240 for the pair.....could`nt be happier:cool:

bkruk

haven't had a chance to ride them in the wet for any real distance other than some wet spots from intermittent rain.
Just put her away for the winter :(
heres what the tires look like after driving home from getting them installed, same chickens as the rossos but already those are gone after I felt the tire was scrubbed in:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    761 KB · Views: 3,119

Tito_gsx

haven't had a chance to ride them in the wet for any real distance other than some wet spots from intermittent rain.
Just put her away for the winter :(
heres what the tires look like after driving home from getting them installed, same chickens as the rossos but already those are gone after I felt the tire was scrubbed in:cool:

Your running alpha 13's for the street? I thought these are race tires that work only when up to correct operating temperature. On Dunlop's website it sounds like street riding is ok.

Dunlop Racing » Alpha 13

I'd be curious how you like them for the street. I assume you will also track them, will you use tire warmers? I wonder how many heat cycles these tires can take especially in combination with street riding

bkruk

the Alpha`s heat up on their own way faster than the Rosso`s ever did and yes they will be mainly for the street but its mighty twisty around where I live in the Mountains, some track days set for next season however.

ArkansasDave

the Alpha`s heat up on their own way faster than the Rosso`s ever did and yes they will be mainly for the street but its mighty twisty around where I live in the Mountains, some track days set for next season however.

Do you have any data to back up that claim?

tito, I doubt these tires will become hard from too many heat cycles.

bkruk

no data just what I can feel with my hands....pretty scientific huh???

Last edited:

KTMGene390

I'm currently using the Dunlop Alpha 13's on my bike. They are obviously better than the stock OEM Rosso ll 's including the off the shelf versions. I have about 300 miles on them in the canyons riding aggressively and they are holding up just fine. Worth noting is the fact a lot of people don't realize that race compound tires actually require around 180+ degrees of temperature to truly work as designed and tire warmers to avoid too many heat cycles. Using race tires on the street will work reasonably well of course, but you will be lucky to heat them up to 160 degrees if you are an extremely fast rider and the moment you get stuck behind a car, rider or stop they will lose their temperature very quickly, and we all know about cold race tires on the street. GPA's anyone lol! These Alpha 13's seem to handle that better though.

Having said that, I'm using them because they are cheap, work better for me than the other choices for this bike (other than additional race tires like Pirelli's $$) and will be riding them on the track.

Last edited:

Tito_gsx

I'm currently using the Dunlop Alpha 13's on my bike. They are obviously better than the stock OEM Rosso ll 's including the off the shelf versions. I have about 300 miles on them in the canyons riding aggressively and they are holding up just fine. Worth noting is the fact a lot of people don't realize that race compound tires actually require around 180+ degrees of temperature to truly work as designed and tire warmers to avoid too many heat cycles. Using race tires on the street will work reasonably well of course, but you will be lucky to heat them up to 160 degrees if you are an extremely fast rider and the moment you get stuck behind a car, rider or stop they will lose their temperature very quickly, and we all know about cold race tires on the street. GPA's anyone lol! These Alpha 13's seem to handle that better though.

Having said that, I'm using them because they are cheap, work better for me than the other choices for this bike (other than additional race tires like Pirelli's $$) and will be riding them on the track.

Interesting take. What's confusing to me is that Dunlop kinda markets this tires and street and race tire whereas Pirelli with supercorsa and Dunlop Ntecs are specifically marketed as race only. So I'm curious how street riders will fare. I'm using my stock corsa ii's for street and track and they seem fine but I find they don't like a lot lean angle. I'm thinking alpha 13's could be best compromise.

ArkansasDave

Another note about Pirelli is there are supercorsa SP's that are street tires while supercorsa SC's are race only. The SC will not fair well in a street sense, they take longer to heat up and need more heat in them. They are basically the same compounds as the Pirelli slicks. The siping is also pretty terrible and will perform terribly in the wet.

I think this has all convinced me to go with Bridgestone S20 as all of my ridding is street - / and out in the twisty country roads plus in Australia here it can be 32 degrees air temp and then next minute pissing down with a storm - I think the Bridgestone S 20 will handle the wet better - any thoughts?

ArkansasDave

I think this has all convinced me to go with Bridgestone S20 as all of my ridding is street - / and out in the twisty country roads plus in Australia here it can be 32 degrees air temp and then next minute pissing down with a storm - I think the Bridgestone S 20 will handle the wet better - any thoughts?

Michelin pilot road 3 or 4.