First Oil Change

RobbiRob76

is a "Forked" style upholstery tool required to pop plastic rivets on radiator guard, or do you simply pop center of rivet to release? It sucks upper has to come off to change oil!

A1VW2NV

Country flag
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE UPPERS TO CHANGE THE OIL! The fasteners are removed by pushing out the center's. Don't push then all the way thru, though.20150523_100519.jpg

RobbiRob76

Call me a "Candy Ass" whatever? Am I the only who think you need to an Olympic Gymnast to change the oil, with only 2 hands. I was spoiled for years having access to a lift, but Jaysus Criminy that sucks doing it the floor. I'M buying a damn lift! Maybe just a center stand. Need a new one anyway!

Fasteddy

Country flag
Call me a "Candy Ass" whatever? Am I the only who think you need to an Olympic Gymnast to change the oil, with only 2 hands. I was spoiled for years having access to a lift, but Jaysus Criminy that sucks doing it the floor. I'M buying a damn lift! Maybe just a center stand. Need a new one anyway!

I started looking for one the same day I did the oil change on mine, I was really spoiled long ago I had a single post lift, probably never see one of those again..

RobbiRob76

FYI Bottom drain bolt, barely tightened. Oil filter cover bolts (left side) was LESS than finger tight. Everyone check your stuff. It's worth the time to pull bodywork and check all bolts.

Treachery

Country flag
I'll chime in here to say: Be careful when re-tightening the oil filter cover. The torque spec is low; 8 Nm, I think, but it felt like I was tightening the bejeezus out of it (using a torque wrench). I finally backed the bolts out and went "snug," via my calibrated manual force-providing appendages.

Warning to All: do your first oil change after only a short amount of mileage. The amount of metal 'swarf' in the oil drained at my firts oil change was somewaht alarming. I would suggest doing your first oil change at 60-100 KM from new. I suspect some of the 'swarf' in the front bottom filter is probably chewed up gasket as it didn't look like metal. However, the stuff from the main drain is metal (aluminium). parillaguy

RobbiRob76

Warning to All: do your first oil change after only a short amount of mileage. The amount of metal 'swarf' in the oil drained at my firts oil change was somewaht alarming. I would suggest doing your first oil change at 60-100 KM from new. I suspect some of the 'swarf' in the front bottom filter is probably chewed up gasket as it didn't look like metal. However, the stuff from the main drain is metal (aluminium). parillaguy
Thanks, there is a whole thread about this... Good info in there.

chxmp

Did my first oil change (or at least trying to) at 200 miles.

First question: how do you clean the two fabric filters?
Second Question: what's the best paper filter to use as replacement?

Treachery

Country flag
I used an old toothbrush, hot water, and detergent. After I scrubbed out the sink (to avoid being shot by SWMBO), I put the screens out in the sun to dry while doing the rest of the stuff I was working on. You might be able to use contact cleaner, but as one of the screens appears to be nylon, I didn't want to use anything that harsh. HTH.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^

So, the 155 fits? I had sent an info request to the outfit that makes the stainless version that cross-references to the HiFlo, and they didn't answer. Compared to the really expensive spin-on stainless filters, $22 for permanent doesn't sound too bad. OTOH, introducing the cleaning step and that delay in completing the oil change sounds like a waste of time.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

Years ago I developed the plans for a "2 sheets of plywood" workstand. You may want to consider that before buying one. It's REALLY easy to build!

Collapsible Motorcycle Workstand

FRLSSRZHPL6CFL6.LARGE.jpg

It folds down smaller for storage out of the way too:
FMOBO6CHPL6CFL7.LARGE.jpg

reenmachine

Country flag
^^^^^

So, the 155 fits? I had sent an info request to the outfit that makes the stainless version that cross-references to the HiFlo, and they didn't answer. Compared to the really expensive spin-on stainless filters, $22 for permanent doesn't sound too bad. OTOH, introducing the cleaning step and that delay in completing the oil change sounds like a waste of time.

It fits. It's in there right now.