first track day

emeglasson

I got my bike on Wednesday of last week. My buddy got his on Tuesday. A test ride on his is what convinced me I needed one. Our dealer happened to have one arriving Wednesday, unclaimed. I did three street rides on it during the week, putting about 70 miles on the clock.

There was an open track day at a nearby cart track, so we figured we might as well try these things out for their intended purpose, that is ripping around the track. We bought them purely to be track toys.

We'd both ordered some Power Parts when we bough the bikes, but none of the parts have arrived yet. So, we simply removed the few bits & pieces that were easy. I intend to keep mine street legal for another month or so, so I can easily test changes & upgrades.

I stuck a small bar end mirror on, and fabricated a quick rear turn signal re-locater. my temporary permit is good until July, so I will never run a plate on it, so no plate holder needed. I also threw in a small lithium battery, as o I had one in the garage waiting to go into another bike. Altogether I have shaved about 16 pounds so far. The lights will come off eventually, which should help a bit more.

We had an absolute blast at the relatively tight track. I did one very tentative warm up lap, and the bike felt amazing, extremely nimble. The second lap felt better, and one the third lap I was dragging peg and knee. I rarely do that on full sized bikes, so it was clear that I felt very comfortable on this bike. Well, that, and it has low pegs.

In short, the bike is fantastic; a ton of fun. And, unfortunately, the front brake sucks. This morning I ordered a 320mm floating caliper from Galfer, some race pads, and a new radial master cylinder. We had two other track prepped bikes there that had brakes that were dramatically more powerful. I'm talking the difference between easy one finger braking on another bike, and as hard as I can pull two fingers on the 390, and being concerned that it may not slow down at the end of the straight.

I think the brakes are just fine for street riding, but they are not quite 'ready to race', or even, ready to ride aggressively on the track.

photo 1.JPG

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    541.4 KB · Views: 553
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 440

emeglasson

I don't know if they are technically 'race' pads, but I ordered mine from Galfer. I told the tech that the bike would be 100% track, no street, and he said he had a set for that application. So I ordered some.

guzz46

Another report of weak brakes, the yankee bikes must have different spec brakes, different pads maybe? they already have different tyres and indicators to the bikes down here, did you ask what was different in regards to the brakes on the race prepped 390? because I've had mine at the track braking from 170kmh and the brakes are great, plenty of power, with two fingers and not much pressure required at the lever, and my brakes are stock, the only thing I've changed was the power parts adjustable front brake lever.

I have to agree with Guzz46 I am in Australia and have had my bike nearly 3 months and find the front brakes perfect maybe there are some slight changes to specs between countries - Being only across the ditch from Guzz we would more than likely have the same batch or spec bike - interesting !

micahpearlman

I don't know if they are technically 'race' pads, but I ordered mine from Galfer. I told the tech that the bike would be 100% track, no street, and he said he had a set for that application. So I ordered some.

I ended up getting Brembo SC off of EBay...

fos373

EBC FA606 is the part number for HH pads. Made in America but limited availability in America.

I found some and they work drastically better than the stock pads

One problem I found with the stock pads was poor bedding in. Only the very center of the pads were touch the disk even after proper bedding and 240 miles. I took a vernier caliper to them and found very inconsistent thickness. I suppose I could have tried to surface them.

I switched to the EBC FA606 pads and I'm not looking back. From the first squeeze I had brakes.

Treachery

Country flag
320mm is the wrong rotor, as I understand it. That's the one for the Cup bike, I think, which has a different mount for the caliper to allow that rotor. 300mm is the stock size.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
300 mm is stock, the Galfer 300 and 320 wave rotors will be available shortly from KTM. 320 should go right on a non-cup bike with caliper spacers like any other change going to an "oversized" rotor. I have the 320 on the way for the current build. It's in the powerparts catalog for street bikes. I have no track time on one yet. With that being said amount of engine braking vs weight of bike and amount of power produced stock brakes seem adequate for street use (only miles I've racked up). WIth some more ponies like I'm working on and track use only the 320 with better pads and my new lines will better suited/called for. I'm hoping to acquire CL pads.

Treachery

Country flag
Agreed; but the OP didn't mention anything about the spacers. Just (indirectly) pointing out that need. And...nobody's clearly pointed out where to get those.

emeglasson

You are correct, 20mm spacers will be needed to replace the stock 10mm spacers. Also, longer bolts required. Unfortunately, neither the bolts or the spacers seem to be available from KTM or Galfer, who I ordered the 320 disc from. I'll be having spacer machined, and am pretty confident I can find some longer bolts.

Ash797

According to the power parts catalogue there is a 300mm disc available also.

I too upgraded to the EBC pads and they are a vast improvement over the stock pads.

Last edited:

mr-fabricator

Oz spec bike ..... ditched the abs from day 1 , standard brakes wer average but got better and better. after track day number 5 i bought a chinese copy wave rotor off ebay to try . Re used the pads and nearly binned the bike twice !! Was going to bin the cheap rotor but had brembo sintered pads on order so tried them with the wavey rotor and now have good brakes , i wouldnt say monobloc out of this world stopping power but theyre pretty bloody good by any standard and i wont need any more imo .

Regards lee

Last edited: