Front Fork Options

big_sur

So I'm hopefully going to be picking up an RC390 in a couple days and in looking through all the race prep I need to do over the winter, I think the front forks are probably my top question. The rules for the production class state that,

"The front forks may be modified with different springs, valves and oil. Preload adjusters may be added to the forks. The stock fork damping rods must be retained, but may be modified."

I'm not super familiar with suspension, but isn't the damper rod in a cartridge fork just kind of a connecting rod? Or do you think that just doesn't apply here and I'm basically limited to springs, valves, and oil?

psych0hans

Country flag
I would suggest sending out your forks to someone like racetech or elka or penske or jri or the host of other options available and let them work their magic. Just let them know your constraints in advance. Good Luck!!!

Treachery

Country flag
I'd agree with psych0hans. That's my plan, once I get a shock. I'm small/light enough that the conversations I've had with suspension gurus suggest that I may be okay fixing just the rear. Saves the larger dollars.

Wicked Chicken

Unless of course your race organization considers a RC390 Cup version as production? Its worth an email to the race director and then you have a suspension package you don't have to worry about. I know two dealerships in Cali that sold Cup bikes to the general public i.e. non-AMA license holders which could make the case to allow that configuration in certain restricted classes.

micahpearlman

Unless of course your race organization considers a RC390 Cup version as production? Its worth an email to the race director and then you have a suspension package you don't have to worry about. I know two dealerships in Cali that sold Cup bikes to the general public i.e. non-AMA license holders which could make the case to allow that configuration in certain restricted classes.

AFM just announced a rule change that allows the Cup bikes to race in production 350.

What organization are you racing? The rule you quoted seems a little confusing. It generally seems like a cartridge kit from someplace like GP Suspension (which is what I run) is alright but I'm not clear on what they mean by: "The stock fork damping rods must be retained, but may be modified"?

big_sur

I was actually thinking about just buying a cup bike, but they only allow them if you race motoamerica. I think in talking to people I've gleaned that generally the spirit of the rule is to keep costs down and cartridge kits aren't allowed.

AFM just announced a rule change that allows the Cup bikes to race in production 350.

What organization are you racing? The rule you quoted seems a little confusing. It generally seems like a cartridge kit from someplace like GP Suspension (which is what I run) is alright but I'm not clear on what they mean by: "The stock fork damping rods must be retained, but may be modified"?

MRA, I'm thinking that damping rod comment only applies to damping rod forks?

Backmarker

Hardracing has T-tech IDS fork cartridge kit for the RC390, and is taking orders for ohlins shock type 46DR and 46HRCL, they are not sure when they will arrive

micahpearlman

I was actually thinking about just buying a cup bike, but they only allow them if you race motoamerica. I think in talking to people I've gleaned that generally the spirit of the rule is to keep costs down and cartridge kits aren't allowed.

MRA, I'm thinking that damping rod comment only applies to damping rod forks?

I know of a couple of people here in NorCal who have gotten Cup bikes without being a licensed AMA racer. Just ask your dealer. Check with your club to make sure the Cup bike is production legal if you go that route. AFM just allowed them into production this last week, though only 350 production. I run my street based RC in both 350 and 250 production. My guess is that my club will eventually ban the street based RC from 250 production (which allows 400cc single cylinders, but not the Ninja 300 or R3) or just get rid of 250 production all together next season. The Cup bike is a great, literally a turnkey race bike -- just needs new tires and remove the throttle stop. it was fun building my street bike into a race bike but it turned out to be just as expensive and a hell of a *LOT* more time then just getting a Cup bike.

So my setup is GP Suspension cartridges and a Penske 2 way. FYI: I now wish I got the Penske 3 way which has high speed dampening adjustment as there are a couple of harsh mid corner bumps on one of the tracks we race (Sears Point) that I never really had issue with on my much heavier 600.

Ash797

I only have experience and run the Andreani cartridges and strongly suggest you contact David at Fastbike industries if you decide to go that route, they're also about $300 cheaper than the GP cartridges.

Last edited:

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
I only have experience and run the Andreani cartridges and strongly suggest you contact David at Fastbike industries if you decide to go that route, they're also about $300 cheaper than the GP cartridges.

These are a really nice setup.

We are finishing up an Install Video.

GP suspension, Andreani Group Cartridges are already available from several sources, Ktech is on the way. All this choices are consider by several Race groups as SuperPort legal because the use the original forks for installation.