Gas tank cover

CAZHEREDIA

Took the bike for the 1st service valve inspection and noticed that the gas tank cover is loose, cover protects battery and fuse box.

do I need to go back to dealer for it to be properly secured? I couldn't snap it back in place

reenmachine

Country flag
It pops back in place, but if you don't get it right it'll fly off at speed. It has a latch actuated by a cable loop under the seat on the right side. There are several tabs you must align when sliding the cover rearward into place and then the latch will click. Tug on it a bunch to make sure it's secure. It's not the best design, but once you do it a couple times it's fine.

tecknojoe

Country flag
I started to put that tank cover back on by first inserting the tabs at the front, then sliding the whole thing back into the latch. It made me realize that the whole time I had only been securing that tray by the latch, and not aligning the proper holes. This probably leads to the reason why a lot of people are having an issue with it flying off.

rick

The tank cover is held on by the two bolts on each side, two in the back and the gas cap bolts. I assume you mean the battery cover/lid (#30 below)?

Like everyone else said, it can be a little tricky to put on in terms of lining up the tabs. There's a cable to release the latch under the seat, pop it off and then put it back on while making sure to align and engage all the tabs. There's a thread on it here.

CAZHEREDIA

Yes thats exactly correct # 30

so do i need to release the seat and pull a string? I was a bit confused with that

rick

Yeah, the release cable (#14 in the diagram). It's on the right side under the seat - it'll be pretty obvious. Good luck! :)