GLITCHY ABS

Chaos causes

Country flag
The ABS on my 2016 RC390 has a mind of it's own now. The bike's odo read 15942Kms and recently the ABS unit has been showing some glitch in it's performance. The ABS light goes on in between riding(initially it goes of after crossing abt 5Km/hr) and it stays. Tje front and rear brake levers tighten up and the wheels lock up on hard braking. On turning off and on the ignition the issue settles for a while and then pops again. I checked with the fuse, it hasn't burned or anything. Can someone help me with this?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
If the fluid hasn't been flushed every two years (or even if it has) there could be a clog in a return port, which would cause tightening of the lever. That particular symptom also could be caused by a misadjusted rear brake pedal. But with both brakes exhibiting the same symptom, this seems less likely.

Most of what you describe does seem to point to an electrical problem, or possible an unlikely internal mechanical failure in the ABS unit itself. I think the latter would be diagnosed by eliminating other possible causes. If it is a bad unit, at least it will be easy to find a used one on eBay for under $50.

I think I would do the following, in order.

1. Check phonic rings on both wheels for damage/looseness
  2. Check wheel sensors and their wires
  3. Check for OBD codes
  4. Check that BOTH fuses (10- and 25-amp) have good connections (no corrosion)
  5. Check/clean/tighten ground connections of ABS unit (two black/yellow wires)
  6. Flush all brake fluid and inspect master cylinders
  7. Replace ABS control unit

Chaos causes

Country flag
If the fluid hasn't been flushed every two years (or even if it has) there could be a clog in a return port, which would cause tightening of the lever. That particular symptom also could be caused by a misadjusted rear brake pedal. But with both brakes exhibiting the same symptom, this seems less likely.

Most of what you describe does seem to point to an electrical problem, or possible an unlikely internal mechanical failure in the ABS unit itself. I think the latter would be diagnosed by eliminating other possible causes. If it is a bad unit, at least it will be easy to find a used one on eBay for under $50.

I think I would do the following, in order.

1. Check phonic rings on both wheels for damage/looseness
  2. Check wheel sensors and their wires
  3. Check for OBD codes
  4. Check that BOTH fuses (10- and 25-amp) have good connections (no corrosion)
  5. Check/clean/tighten ground connections of ABS unit (two black/yellow wires)
  6. Flush all brake fluid and inspect master cylinders
  7. Replace ABS control unit
Tysm on replying buddy. The battery on my bike has completely worn out, it can't even crank up my motorcycle now. So i removied my batt. A new battery may solve this issue? Can you share your views on this?

Chaos causes

Country flag
Update on the issue.
The ABS warning light disappears as I start to ride and the brakes do not lock up then even on hard braking. once I start to ride hard and brake hard a couple of times, the lamp glows and the tyres lock up on braking. What could be the issue now(them unit works as I turn off the ignition and turn it on again)

musti

Country flag
Update on the issue.
The ABS warning light disappears as I start to ride and the brakes do not lock up then even on hard braking. once I start to ride hard and brake hard a couple of times, the lamp glows and the tyres lock up on braking. What could be the issue now(them unit works as I turn off the ignition and turn it on again)

Hi.

Did you try any of these steps, mentioned by @ReidMcT