Handlebar Clip-ons repair

Tharre

So I crashed today, and the clip-on on the left side of the bike broke off.

I figured I just need to order part 90802005000, but I'm unsure how to get the thing off. I removed the 2 screws (number 6 and 15 if you look at the diagram on sparepartsfinder) but it just won't budge. Do I have to remove something else or is raw force really all that's needed?

Related, I unscrewed the bolt that goes to the fork, to see if that makes any difference, however it made a weird 'plop' sound. Is that part supposed to be under a partial vacuum and do I need to vent the air from it again?

I'd post pictures, but it's already too dark to see anything on them unfortunately. And sorry for the many questions, I am new to motorcycles.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: That's the part if you don't know what I'm talking about:

IMG_20161009_193728254.jpg

Last edited:

chrisdigital21

So I crashed today, and the clip-on on the left side of the bike broke off.

I figured I just need to order part 90802005000, but I'm unsure how to get the thing off. I removed the 2 screws (number 6 and 15 if you look at the diagram on sparepartsfinder) but it just won't budge. Do I have to remove something else or is raw force really all that's needed?

Related, I unscrewed the bolt that goes to the fork, to see if that makes any difference, however it made a weird 'plop' sound. Is that part supposed to be under a partial vacuum and do I need to vent the air from it again?

I'd post pictures, but it's already too dark to see anything on them unfortunately. And sorry for the many questions, I am new to motorcycles.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: That's the part if you don't know what I'm talking about:

View attachment 3077

Thread the allen screw back into the inside end on the clip-on, about half way and tap it with a small hammer. it is a interference fit. tap the Allen head screw to force the piece out.

Last edited:

Tharre

That worked like a charm! Thanks!

Still not quite sure what's with the bolt that goes to the fork though. Have I messed anything up by unscrewing it, or has screwing it in tightly fixed the issue?

chrisdigital21

That worked like a charm! Thanks!

Still not quite sure what's with the bolt that goes to the fork though. Have I messed anything up by unscrewing it, or has screwing it in tightly fixed the issue?

Glad to help!! I've got plenty more tricks from 20+ years of wrenching if you ever need em, Just ask. I have most likely had to deal it with an issue and created a solution.

Please take a pic of what bolt you are concerned with , that way I can offer suggestion. cheers. :cool:

Tharre

You see the bolt I'm talking about in the picture above already, the big one on the bottom right.

EDIT: bottom right, not bottom left, sorry.

Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
This one? If so, thats just the fork cap and screwing it back down should have been fine.

Attachments

• This One.jpg
    This One.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 143

Tharre

Yep, that's the one. Very well then, thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Still got a lot to learn about motorcycles :)

Tharre

Ok, parts finally arrived yesterday, but I have a hard time getting the clip-on back into the socket. I tried threading the allen screw back into the inside end of the clip-on but it doesn't quite bite.

Hammer didn't get the job done either, and I suppose using raw force is a rather bad idea.

So, how do the professionals do it?
:)

Tharre

Never mind, it's the wrong size. KTM only sells the clip ons by themselves if the allen screw on the inside is an M6 screw?!

Edit: Yup, it's completely different part ...

Edit2: It seems like there is 90802101000 HANDLEBAR L/S, which hopefully is the same size as stock.

Last edited: