have you experimented with stiffer suspension?

avs

Country flag
I ordered suspension for my weight and application. (200lbs plus gear, track day only), and the spring rates chosen for me were 0.8n/mm forks and a 750lb/in shock spring. The damping seems fine for now, but on power steering seemed 'stiff'. the shock is at 310mm and the forks at flush with the triple clamp, this measured to under 90mm trail. (so i had anticipated that the steering may be too light, but it seemed pretty stable).

I took to the track day suspension tuner to give it a once over for a 2nd opinion. His suggestion was a 900 to 1000lb/in shock spring, and keeping the fork in the 0.7 to 0.8 range. I acquired a 1000 spring, but have not been back to the track. just bouncing on it in garage, the rear is very firm, and the front is substantially more compliant than the rear.

Has anyone experimented with this combination? for 'stiffer' setups, I have only seen cases discussed where people are in the 0.9 to 1.1 front with less rear stiffness.

thanks for any insight,

othebe

Country flag
I use a 8.5 on the front with a 550 rear. This is at A group pace, but I'm also 155 without gear. 8.0/1000 does sound a little imbalanced, so would be good to get more opinions on this. You can also check your dust seals or apply some grease on your rear spring to gauge total travel. When you say 'stiff' steering, do you mean the bike feels lazy during turns and cannot hold a radius forcing you to add more lean?

avs

Country flag
I meant the amount of steering input in transition, at speed and on power. It is most noticeable in a fast section with esses. Once set in a turn it feels stable, no tendency to fall in or pop out or anything. Given the smallish trail numbers I expected a lightning quick, maybe too light steering.

It's only a guess, but I think the suggestion was to keep the rear from squatting under power? But its hard to not wonder if the front isn't lifting?

I was contemplating getting a pair of 1.0 fronts and swapping in 1 at a time. Just scaling your situation for equivalent rider sag increment gets me to 1.05 and 700.

avs

Country flag
Maximum braking can get me near full compression, but a little more oil or compression damping are available.
I use a 8.5 on the front with a 550 rear. This is at A group pace, but I'm also 155 without gear. 8.0/1000 does sound a little imbalanced, so would be good to get more opinions on this. You can also check your dust seals or apply some grease on your rear spring to gauge total travel. When you say 'stiff' steering, do you mean the bike feels lazy during turns and cannot hold a radius forcing you to add more lean?
forgot to ask how grease on the rear spring works? I could see grease on the rod. I never hear it, but why not use small tie-wrap?