How Do You Get Your Confidence Back After A Crash?

Doctor Chocolate

I think it's crazy how the mind works. I'm curious to know how other people get over that "hump." I put together a little video of how I most recently dealt with it.
[video=youtube_share;9udKqTh_Fok]https://youtu.be/9udKqTh_Fok[/video]

While I'd prefer not to crash if at all possible it doesn't really bother me, I'm back on the bike as soon as both I and the bike are physically able.
My first crash was on the road a high side where I broke one shoulder did some rotator cuff damage to my other shoulder, and had some other bumps and bruises.
The crash wasn't technically my fault, but in hindsight I could have avoided it, so I treat as a lesson, but I didn't need to do anything to get myself back on the bike, other than learning from it, it doesn't enter my mind.
I lowsided my RC on the track, was only going 35 or 40 and was pretty far over when it happened, so really wasn't bad.
A scrape and a couple of bruises, damaged the wind screen, brake lever and rear set, and scraped up my pretty Akra can :(.
I ordered the replacement parts, had them over nighted to the track so I could do my first race that weekend.
I wasn't able to figure out what I had done wrong, so no lesson with that one unfortunately.
I was back on the bike as soon as I replaced the parts, other than being bummed about having to pay for the over night shipping, it never bothered me.
Those 2 are really my only crashes, I've lowsided my grom practicing figure 8's and circles now and then, but I don't think those are the kinds of things we're talking about.

Not sure why it doesn't bother me, maybe cause I'm old and I know death is near anyway ;).

Anyway, my advice is just get back on the bike asap, it's so much fun, the crash will be a distant memory pretty quickly.
Just try and learn from it if you can.

isaac_

I've highsided and lowsided multiple times. I've suffered concussions and broken bones. The key - as simple as it may be - is to get pick yourself up, throw the leg over the bike, and keep going. Don't let your mind pull you down. It's good to analyze your accident to understand what you did wrong and rationalize how not to have it happen it again. But don't get analysis paralysis. Sometimes you just have to twist the wrist a bit more. I'm not advocating you to be reckless. I'm simply saying, don't get stuck in the rut.

green_bread

Country flag
The key - as simple as it may be - is to get pick yourself up, throw the leg over the bike, and keep going. Don't let your mind pull you down. It's good to analyze your accident to understand what you did wrong and rationalize how not to have it happen it again. But don't get analysis paralysis.

Came here to say exactly this. Analyze the crash, realize what you did wrong, and then let it go. If you dwell on it, you will just be holding yourself back. If you cant "just let it go", then still get back on the bike and work on what is giving you issues. Slowly and surely, you will get the confidence back. You just have to learn to trust the bike and the tires again. Some people can do this immediately after a crash, some people take a little longer, and some never get over the crash. The point is that everyone is different, but no matter who you are, getting back on the bike and getting back at it is the right answer - given you are physically and mentally able to.

=maz=

Country flag
Similarly to what some of the others here have said...time and laps.
Dial back to 80-90% of your pace and work on the issues that you have identified...time and laps.

I absolutely love your channel, but I want to ask a serious question. Why don't you practice for your race? Why do you not do open track days? Distance from the track, crazy work schedule, not enjoyable? I'm looking into racing, and I'm not starting until I know I can squeeze every bit out of the RC.

vanillasoy

Country flag
I was in an accident in my 2nd year of riding many years ago which landed me in the hospital and gnarly gash but in the end, i always accepted the consequences of riding and still enjoyed it. It's all psychological imo.

vulgr

Fantastic video [emoji106]
I tend to be a lot more focused after a crash and will generally set faster lap times on the very next lap. 90% of my crashes I’ve walked away with minimal or no pain so they don’t really shake me up and it’s just a matter of fixing the bike (usually with tape & cable ties)

Doctor Chocolate

I absolutely love your channel, but I want to ask a serious question. Why don't you practice for your race? Why do you not do open track days? Distance from the track, crazy work schedule, not enjoyable? I'm looking into racing, and I'm not starting until I know I can squeeze every bit out of the RC.

Thanks man! The main reason I don't do track days is a busy work and life schedule so I like to dedicate the time that I do have to the racing.

Metals 907

Repeating what was said before.....throw a leg over and get over it. Rode dirt for 30 years, somehow only managed to not walk away from 1 wreck.....broken leg and torn ligaments were the only thing stopping me.
90% of the time I was back up before the dust settled. My only concern was if my bike was okay. Once the damage was assessed then I'd usually feel the pain of the bumps n bruises. To this day i won't get on a bike without the very least a helmet/ gloves / boots. If it involves more than a trip to the corner store it's atgatt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk