How many miles + problems thread

CAZHEREDIA

Changed rear tire at 5,000 miles, got new tire on amazon for 50% off what South bay MSRP said.

at 6,600 miles yesterday and the bike suddenly sounded louder, thought something was loose with the intake and took it to the dealer. It appears the noise comes from the engine and they requested to keep it over night and see what the problem is. Hopefully everything is under warranty, not sure! I use it as a commuter bike so I've been racking up the miles. Got it about 8 months ago and have had no issues until yesterday.

Hoping for the best, also the guy said the chain was loose so I need to get a new chain.

So I spoke to South Bay Motorsports yesterday, they said the estimate was about 3,000dlls. I've had the bike for about 6 months (bought it brand new) and put in a lot of miles on it since I use it primarily for commute. Services have all been done there and they said they would send the paperwork to KTM to see if it would be covered by the warranty.

I hope they do, regardless I'm very disappointed. I spent about 7,500dlls in credit on this bike and extended 3 year warranty and didn't even go more than 6 months without issues.

Keep in mind a 3,000dlls issue is not something small. I don't even know what's wrong with the bike, other than the engine was making a strange loud noise. I'm thinking the CAM-SHAFT or ENGINE blew out.

I will update on Thursday with what I hope will be good news, I'm sure the warranty will cover it, but still I'm looking at about a month without a bike. and in the time being I'm spending about 30dlls/day in transportation!

EnergyHOU

So I spoke to South Bay Motorsports yesterday, they said the estimate was about 3,000dlls. I've had the bike for about 6 months (bought it brand new) and put in a lot of miles on it since I use it primarily for commute. Services have all been done there and they said they would send the paperwork to KTM to see if it would be covered by the warranty.

I hope they do, regardless I'm very disappointed. I spent about 7,500dlls in credit on this bike and extended 3 year warranty and didn't even go more than 6 months without issues.

Keep in mind a 3,000dlls issue is not something small. I don't even know what's wrong with the bike, other than the engine was making a strange loud noise. I'm thinking the CAM-SHAFT or ENGINE blew out.

I will update on Thursday with what I hope will be good news, I'm sure the warranty will cover it, but still I'm looking at about a month without a bike. and in the time being I'm spending about 30dlls/day in transportation!

This has got to be covered and if it isn't this is crossing lemon law territory in essentially every state so much like rick's story, just be very firm and push for what's right.

rick

What EnergyHou said! I can't wait to hear what happens tomorrow but, it's weird that they'd throw a number at you and not tell you what was wrong. It concerns me that you found a real high quality dealer like I did. Don't be afraid to take OldVet's advice too: call early and call often

CAZHEREDIA

I'm going to let the dealer handle it directly for now. I'll wait to see what KTM's response is before I do or say anything. And yes, they just told me that the estimate was about 3k, and that they had sent the paperwork. I honestly don't care if repairs are 10dlls or 10,000dlls. I don't plan on paying it since its a brand new bike.

It troubles me that the amount of repairs needed exceeds that of a new engine! The bike was running fine, no issues what so ever other than that noise. took it directly to the dealer expecting a "loose intake" or something. instead it looks like I BLEW UP THE BIKE and then POURED GASOLINE ON IT and after that I probably filled it up with DIESEL, and then threw it in a pool for a couple days. after everything I just mentioned it would still be about the same to fix!!!!!

I'm hoping for the best tomorrow. Please keep my bike in your prayers lol. will update soon

MotoKam

I picked up the bike new on June 6, 2015. Nearly all the miles have been on the freeway. Here is a list the repairs done:

Aug 27 - 5,254 miles stock Pirelli rear blew out. Replaced with S20 EVOs ever since. I just put the fourth set on.
Aug 28 - 5,453 miles found fan unplugged after overheating incident.
Oct 18 - 9,737 miles replace failed stock fan with SPAL unit after third overheating incident.
Oct 19 - 9,947 miles replace ever stretching chain with RK X-Ring (lasted 7,500+ miles so far with barely any adjustment needed).
Dec 4 - 12,724 miles replace air filter (looks like some dirt was getting by)
Dec 25 - 13,142 miles replace warped front rotor with upgraded KTM race parts (WOW! Now that's a front brake!)
Feb 10 - 15,682 miles adjust valves (a little tight but right on the edge of spec)
Mar 16 - 17,660 miles cracked piston (looking for a new piston tomorrow, wish me luck!)

The first service (minus oil change) and repairing a loose side stand were done at the dealer at around 800 miles. All other work was done by me.

Tire replacement, chain care, and oil changes have been routine.

The cracked piston was a bit of a surprise. But I should have expected it since the motor lives most of its life at 8,000+ RPM.

I also added the KTM Ergo seat and the KTM adjustable controls. It's just about perfect now. Or it will be after I fix the piston.

IMG_0929.jpg

Topaz

Country flag
^^ Wow! That's kind of a lot of incidents for a 17k miles bike, isn't it?

How did you know about the cracked piston? What did the bike do?

MotoKam

^^
How did you know about the cracked piston? What did the bike do?

It suddenly lost a little bit of power while passing on a 2-lane blacktop (felt like a gust of headwind). A few seconds later it lost a lot more power and I was losing speed.

In the mirror, I saw a cloud of white smoke which came from the increased crankcase pressure pushing oil out of the cable ports through the ignition cover onto the muffler and my left boot.

I shut the engine off and coasted to a stop.

ShinySideUp

5k miles on mine. daily driven commuter bike. The throttle cable snapped on me. at about 2-3k. The gear indicator does not show 5th gear anymore when hot. the bike has been at the dealer for a couple weeks for a no start issue. I suspect a head gasket issue because it was overheating the night before it did this. and was low on coolant but i did not see any leaks. still under warranty so i took it to the dealer. they're claiming the no start is due to a valve adjustment being needed and the over heating issue is separate. I'm kind of annoyed at this point. specially since the valve adjustment was done at the first service and its supposed to be a 9k mile interval. That and because they can't figure out the overheating issue. oh and the stator cover gasket is leaking. they supposedly filed a claim with ktm to repair it under warranty. I hope it gets taken care of when the other issues are addressed.

ok thrree weeks in. They said the valve were a little tight. adjusted them and still had a starting issue. They said that there is coolant in the oil. So i'm assuming they're finally going to see if it's a headgasket or related mechanical issue.

rick

So, this morning my radiator cracked. ~5.500 miles. I'll cover this more in my existing "Bike suddenly got louder" thread. The front of the radiator looks like new suggesting that the damage came from the rear (assuming it just wasn't a vibration induced failure)
radiator-01.jpg

The fan shroud is covering where the leak is on the back. At least as best as I can tell until I pull the bodywork off.

CAZHEREDIA

Changed rear tire at 5,000 miles, got new tire on amazon for 50% off what South bay MSRP said.

at 6,600 miles yesterday and the bike suddenly sounded louder, thought something was loose with the intake and took it to the dealer. It appears the noise comes from the engine and they requested to keep it over night and see what the problem is. Hopefully everything is under warranty, not sure! I use it as a commuter bike so I've been racking up the miles. Got it about 8 months ago and have had no issues until yesterday.

Hoping for the best, also the guy said the chain was loose so I need to get a new chain.

UPDATE!!
KTM North America called me yesterday, after 31days of the bike being in the shop I was told that it will be covered 100% by warranty and I should have a perfect running bike within days!

Happy to say that at last it will be fixed. Missed 31 days of riding my bike but at this point as long as I have the bike I will be happy.

EnergyHOU

UPDATE!!
KTM North America called me yesterday, after 31days of the bike being in the shop I was told that it will be covered 100% by warranty and I should have a perfect running bike within days!

Happy to say that at last it will be fixed. Missed 31 days of riding my bike but at this point as long as I have the bike I will be happy.

Awesome to hear, so now we definitely have 2 records on file of KTM really coming through for its customers in the case of near to total complete failure. Have fun when it comes back to you!

=maz=

Country flag
They said that there is coolant in the oil. So i'm assuming they're finally going to see if it's a headgasket or related mechanical issue.

Check the water-pump seal. One of our 390's blew the same seal.
If it was the head you would have oil in the coolant.

EnergyHOU

3,775 miles, bad battery, replaced for $75 out the door. Yes problem is a continuation from my first post about having to juice up the bike one day.

stevieboy

Country flag
Just got my RC last week and put the first hundred miles on this weekend. Radiator fan sounds like someone is trying to feed a cat through it.

corners

An interesting thread.

As a counter-point, I have not experienced a single issue with my bike (6200+ miles), though I have done all of the maintenance myself.

Luck of the draw, perhaps.

Last edited:

Vyzorr

7800km ish.. (4900 miles roughly) and my bike has a fan issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

Also 3rd gear at 49km/h (30 mph) if I thrash it really hard it just cuts off power a bit.. then brings it back on, but only at that gear.. and only at that speed.

Geeze my issues aren't as bad as I thought :/