Does any other RC 390 owner have any issues with the idle on their bike?

My idle speed seems to fluctuate sounds like it has a miss fire every 5 to ten seconds or do they all do it? Any feedback will be most appreciated.

guzz46

Mine usually has a couple of very small hicups, but only when first started, once warm it's fine, try the 15 minute idle reset, I think you're supposed to do it when you install a new muffler.

Thanks Guzz it used to idle poorly prior to putting on the new muffler - The guys at KTM ( Bike shop ) said after the first service and resetting the ECU it should sort it out but it did not - Anyways excuse me for not knowing !!! What is the 15 minute idle reset?

guzz46

I think it goes like this, with the bike dead cold put it on a paddock stand, start it without touching the throttle and let it idle for 15 minutes without touching the throttle, then turn the key off, it pays to do it when the weather's a bit cooler, I haven't tried it myself but some people have claimed it works.

fos373

This seems right. I installed the new exhaust (The Fuel F1R which is nice and loud!!!!!!). I took it for a quick illegal test ride, and very gently as the roads are dry but there's a lot of sand, and it was hesitant but cleared itself out after a couple of minutes.

I was reading on the Duke 390 forum and a few guys have had the same issue but once they did the 15 minute idle problem solved - Im not sure if at the first service after setting the ECU if they did the 15 minute idle .I must check with them .

Ok I will give it a go and let you know what the outcome is - Pretty hard to find a cool day in Queensland :)

BINGO Perfect advice from Guzz46 I did the 15 minute idle as recommended - At around the 10 minute mark the bike was idling a little smoother and at 15 minutes was still a little hairy but once the key was turned off and then I started the bike about 5 minutes later it now idles smooth as - Thanks for the advice

It seams to make a big difference across the board - smooths the whole ride out - I am impressed with the pipe also it sings a superb note (Screams) in the higher rev range - Now it's Ready to race !!!!