JRI Double adjustable shock

BATS

Country flag
I recently purchased a RC390 with the JRI Double adjustable shock installed already. I'm not planning on tracking this bike and plan to run the OEM shock. It is currently installed on the bike and will be removed this weekend. The bike has 1 track day on it and the shock is in perfect condition. I have the user manual and some setup information that comes with it.

$700

Prefer a local buyer in So Cal but will ship.

I can provide references since this is my first post.

-BATS

Bay Area Two Stroke

JRI-500-247.png

Last edited:

BATS

Country flag
JRI Double adjustable shock for sale.
Located in Los Angeles for pick up

$750 obo

Last edited:

OldVet

I can't imagine going back to the stock shock after I put the JRi on my bike, major difference for carving canyons even if you don't track it...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
^^^ Exactly! I suppose it depends on your weight, but if you are anything more than 120# out of gear (140# in) then you are REALLY going to regret it. The stock shock is utter garbage and downright dangerous if you are anything but an ultralight. Even then, you are only going to get just over 1/2 of your suspension travel on the stock shock with that variable rate rear spring. That shock went on the bike for a REASON.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Great. Now I cant ride the bike because the stock rear shock is dangerous.

That all depends on your weight, and how you are riding it. Clearly if you are a member of the Big Boy club like myself (220#) then pushing the bike hard on the stock suspension was... yeah... dangerous. With the JRI and Springs/Oil in the front tho, plus my steering damper kit, it's welded to the road!

RDAlphaRider

That is weird :confused:

"The stock shock is utter garbage and downright dangerous if you are anything but an ultralight"

Post two. I mean, he's not wrong. If you're a heavier person pushing your bike on the track or on the street with the stock shock it'll probably be an unpleasant and scary experience.

Last edited:

BATS

Country flag
Shock is still forsale. I'm having trouble with this site. my post are being deleted. I'm trying to post pictures of the shock.

PM me if your interested.

stevieboy

Country flag
Who said it was dangerous prior to your post???

^^^ Exactly! I suppose it depends on your weight, but if you are anything more than 120# out of gear (140# in) then you are REALLY going to regret it. The stock shock is utter garbage and downright dangerous if you are anything but an ultralight. Even then, you are only going to get just over 1/2 of your suspension travel on the stock shock with that variable rate rear spring. That shock went on the bike for a REASON

Diploman

Matt is right. The OEM 390 shock is a hyper-budget-cutting item,clearly adopted for cost-cutting purposes. IMO it is the most underperforming component on both variants as delivered. It is uncomfortable but marginally serviceable for light-duty street riding, but would be out of the question for track use or more focussed/fast road riding. Fitted with the OEM shock, the RC finished last in a field of four (Honda, Kawa, Yam, KTM) in a <400cc Motorcycllist.com comparo, simply because the shock's woeful performance on the track scared the testers, even though otherwise the RC was clearly the best bike of the four. Among other faults, the shock's damping goes away when it becomes heated from the exhaust cannister. IMO this is arguably the very first item that should be addressed when beginning to mod either 390 variant (along with HH front brake pads). I found a remarkable and very satisfying improvement when I installed an R6 conversion in my Duke (Thanks, Matt). If I wanted to run on the track, I would go with a JRi, Ohlins or Wilbers. The Duke and RC are both great value for money, but there are some budget-cutting compromises, and the shock is probably the most glaring of these. If you are going to do any modding at all, this, IMO, is where your money should go first.

BATS

Country flag
Matt is right. The OEM 390 shock is a hyper-budget-cutting item,clearly adopted for cost-cutting purposes. IMO it is the most underperforming component on both variants as delivered. It is uncomfortable but marginally serviceable for light-duty street riding, but would be out of the question for track use or more focussed/fast road riding. Fitted with the OEM shock, the RC finished last in a field of four (Honda, Kawa, Yam, KTM) in a <400cc Motorcycllist.com comparo, simply because the shock's woeful performance on the track scared the testers, even though otherwise the RC was clearly the best bike of the four. Among other faults, the shock's damping goes away when it becomes heated from the exhaust cannister. IMO this is arguably the very first item that should be addressed when beginning to mod either 390 variant (along with HH front brake pads). I found a remarkable and very satisfying improvement when I installed an R6 conversion in my Duke (Thanks, Matt). If I wanted to run on the track, I would go with a JRi, Ohlins or Wilbers. The Duke and RC are both great value for money, but there are some budget-cutting compromises, and the shock is probably the most glaring of these. If you are going to do any modding at all, this, IMO, is where your money should go first.

***sold***

stevieboy

Country flag
I've only got 420 miles on mine. Stock shock and stock rubber. 185 pounds and no chicken strips left. Haven't had anything upset me yet-handling wise anyway.

twinturba

Country flag
Fitted with the OEM shock, the RC finished last in a field of four (Honda, Kawa, Yam, KTM) in a <400cc Motorcycllist.com comparo, simply because the shock's woeful performance on the track scared the testers, even though otherwise the RC was clearly the best bike of the four.

I don't recall reading a comparison that put the "best bike of the four" in last place. Pretty sure I read most of the comparison articles and remember it being the most suited to track days and canyon carving of the four compared.

OldVet

I've only got 420 miles on mine. Stock shock and stock rubber. 185 pounds and no chicken strips left. Haven't had anything upset me yet-handling wise anyway.

You must get to ride on baby butt smooth roads, come out here and try our shit for roads and you be singing a different story I'm sure...

Diploman

TwinTurba, Here is the comparo to which I referred. My memory was a bit hazy: It was Motorcycle.com, not Mortorcylist.com; and the RC finished third out of four, behind the Kawa and Yam, just ahead of the Honda. It was downgraded specifically because of the shock, and disappointing brakes.

Beginner-ish Sportbike Shootout + Video