K&N Air Filter

KTMGene390

I bought a second K&N filter and when swapping them out I noticed quite a bit of oil inside the airbox? I've seen this before but not a puddle of oil, so my guess is that it was over coated with oil from the factory.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Seen in every one of mine too.... After some use (mileage) and clean up in airbox it subsides. My guess as well, over oiled at factory.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Seen in every one of mine too.... After some use (mileage) and clean up in airbox it subsides. My guess as well, over oiled at factory.

Ditto. When I was doing the dyno days during the exhaust development I was constantly fiddling with the rear seat / cowling, the seat, and the exhausts.. and was noticing an "abundance" of oil that was appearing in the airbox as well. Seems they are just soaking the filters at the factory. It won't hurt anything... just wipe it up and move on along. My guess is that if they were not oiling enough, then folks who didn't realize you'd need to oil the filter would end up running them without oil at all. {shrug}

aj@x

Guys, i was thinking of dropping in a K&N filter once i install my Akra pipe, i am keeping the stock tune as i'm happy enough with it and the bikes given me no performance problems. Could anyone provide me a cut and dry answer if i can do this without damaging the engine? or will i have to go the akra map if dropping in the K&N in addition to the pipe to prevent it running to lean and potentially damaging the engine?

Cheers.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Guys, i was thinking of dropping in a K&N filter once i install my Akra pipe, i am keeping the stock tune as i'm happy enough with it and the bikes given me no performance problems. Could anyone provide me a cut and dry answer if i can do this without damaging the engine? or will i have to go the akra map if dropping in the K&N in addition to the pipe to prevent it running to lean and potentially damaging the engine?

Cheers.
ANY change to the intake, or exhaust, requires changes to the ECU and/or a power commander to fix the fuel/air ratio. The exhaust alone can just have the ECU mapped with the Akrapovic map. If you are changing out the air filter, then you'll also want to do the airbox lid mod. Either would necessitate the power commander.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

KTMGene390

Cheers.

From my personal experience with the same mods, including air box modification, and after installing the Bazzaz Z-AFM to map the bike, the first ride was with the stock map and the Wideband O2 sensor included with the Z-AFM was showing over 15:1 air/fuel ratios especially at high RPM's. In fact, one time at high RPM's my engine shook so violently it scared me and I immediately pulled in the clutch expecting it to take a dump! Considering here in California we only have 91 octane fuel available at the pump and the guy before you didn't pump 87 (what's left in the hose goes into your bike first), so the average octane is more like 90. I'm guessing since it was extremely hot out it was probably detonation. Stock before any mods these bikes are already running 14.5:1-14.7:1 A/F's for emissions, so any mods to the intake and exhaust is only going to lean it out further.

aj@x

Hmmm, ok i thought as much and glad i asked now :) Think i'll just add the pipe and leave the filter for the time being. I have been running 95ron (australia) in the bike since new which is what the dealer told me to put in it. I like the idea of using 98ron BP Ultimate as it has a slightly better injector cleaner package. Alot of blokes at work have bikes and most tell me they have run 98 in all their bikes for that reason alone as it only costs about a dollar more to fill up and has helped keep their injectors/ carb clean (bike dependent). For the moment i still running the 95 as i'm unsure if running the 98 will have any negative effects to the bikes engine etc?

KTMGene390

Hmmm, ok i thought as much and glad i asked now :) Think i'll just add the pipe and leave the filter for the time being. I have been running 95ron (australia) in the bike since new which is what the dealer told me to put in it. I like the idea of using 98ron BP Ultimate as it has a slightly better injector cleaner package. Alot of blokes at work have bikes and most tell me they have run 98 in all their bikes for that reason alone as it only costs about a dollar more to fill up and has helped keep their injectors/ carb clean (bike dependent). For the moment i still running the 95 as i'm unsure if running the 98 will have any negative effects to the bikes engine etc?

Higher octane fuels won't hurt your bike at all but unless you significantly increased the compression ratio then higher octane fuels are a waste of money. Stock the bike really only needs 91-93 octane fuel (US) and can probably get by with as little as 89 if it is mapped correctly, and it is cool out. However, if your bike is too lean then the engine will run hotter so higher octane fuel will minimize the chance of pinging or detonation occurring. This is because hot spots on the piston can develop and while using higher octane fuel can control detonation or pinging this will not stop your engine from running too hot if it is too lean and in extreme cases damage to your engine.

Speaking of fuels, the real "race gas" that actually makes a difference power wise is oxygenated racing gas such as VP's MR12. This is because some of the oxygen needed for combustion is chemically present in the fuel. Or another way of saying, it is a very mild chemical supercharger or liquid displacement increase. This is just an FYI, don't get any ideas about running this stuff on the street besides the cost which will make your eyeballs pop out it is highly corrosive if left in the gas tank.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

The PowerCommander (PCV ) is always a good thing to add to your bike once you start modifying the Exhaust, and/or Filter....etc.

You don't "HAVE TO DO"........... but it definitely, makes the bike running better, more efficient, smoother....... little more power.

Question ? Just installed the K& N filter with an aftermarket lid - also have a fuel pipe and PCV installed with mapping to suit by qualified tuner- My question would be to anyone else with the K&N and lid mod - Is it normal to be so load in the intake department under hard throttle?

The bike is running clean and crisp but it does overpower the exhaust tone with a massive BRUURP ............ sound (intake) It sorta makes it feel underpowered but i'm sure its all good as it blasts in mid range- etc.. does anyone else find the sound up there on Db?

Bagwell

Country flag
I have a couple of bikes with intake mods either modified or removed airbox lid or pod filters, and often the intake noise is louder than the aftermarket exhaust under more throttle input. Including my RC390

Treachery

Country flag
Question ? Just installed the K& N filter with an aftermarket lid - also have a fuel pipe and PCV installed with mapping to suit by qualified tuner- My question would be to anyone else with the K&N and lid mod - Is it normal to be so load in the intake department under hard throttle?

The bike is running clean and crisp but it does overpower the exhaust tone with a massive BRUURP ............ sound (intake) It sorta makes it feel underpowered but i'm sure its all good as it blasts in mid range- etc.. does anyone else find the sound up there on Db?

I have had the same experience as Bagwell on the RC at least. I was surprised by it, but that's because the intake is right under me arse. Now, I kinda like it. And you're right, the bike does feel more responsive with the mod.

rick

Guys, i was thinking of dropping in a K&N filter [...] Could anyone provide me a cut and dry answer if i can do this without damaging the engine?
I was curious about this too. My last K&N air filter was for a carburated bike and it came with an insert for the airbox inlet to reduce air flow for use with stock engine/carbs/pipes. Does the K&N KT-1211 come with anything like that for an otherwise stock RC390? I don't need more performance but, I'd like a re-usable air filter.

Treachery

Country flag
Well...first, there's probably not a 100% factual answer. If you search about K&Ns, you'll find the fans, and K&N's defense of their products. You'll also find reports that they have poor small-particle filtering efficiency. I have had them on several bikes, but won't use them in a car-I'm more concerned about a vehicle that I know I'll top 100K on.

Modern bikes are generally not overly restricted by the OE air filter. For that reason, I'm running OE in the GS and the FJR. Having said that, the RC responded really nicely to the combination of the K&N and airbox mod. Back to your question about damage: I was concerned that those changes might make it run too lean, so I added the PCV as well.

TMI, perhaps, but my >.02.