Low oil pressure warning

Dsm_s5

New rider and I’m out of my element when it comes to bike issues. I recently did my first service on my 2015 RC 390, I used 1.75l of oil and changed the filter. Ever since my first service my low oil pressure light keeps coming on but only when the bike is up to temperature. I didn’t have this issue before the oil change so I must have done something wrong.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
1. Exactly what oil did you put in?
2. Did you fill it according to the instructions and checked the level as instructed, or did you just put in 1.75 l and assume it was right? Mine took 1.9 l to get to the specified level.

Do not ride until you have this fixed.

Lima6

With a filter change my RC definitely took around 1.85L to get to the right level (check when warm). I think the filter change requires you to put a little more than whats specified on the manual.

Dsm_s5

I used 10w/50 Power Synt 4T Fully synthetic oil, got it from a KTM dealer. The manual says to use 1.5l of oil so I did that and checked the level and it was too low and then added but by bit. Didn’t feel comfortable filling in more than I did. Maybe add another .1l and see how it goes?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
OK, well, even though you may not yet have filled it to the specified level, you have enough oil - and the right kind - that your trouble must be elsewhere. I'd first be looking at the wiring and connector to the oil pressure sensor. Next I would suspect the sensor itself. Least likely and least wished for would be a leaking oil pickup, a damaged pump, or extremely worn bearings. You're sure you replaced the filter correctly?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I used 10w/50 Power Synt 4T Fully synthetic oil, got it from a KTM dealer. The manual says to use 1.5l of oil so I did that and checked the level and it was too low and then added but by bit. Didn’t feel comfortable filling in more than I did. Maybe add another .1l and see how it goes?

Oil level has to be checked with the engine up to temperature.

The bike seems very sensitive to oil pressure.
I would use an OEM filter.
Use OEM oil and wieght.
Make sure you're checking the level correctly, at temp.

If that doesn't fix search the forum for 'oil pressure' there are several other possibilities, including bad water pump seals, but do the obvious stuff first.