Machine oil choosing

Bill Wu

Hi everyone, I'm a new owner of RC390 in Taiwan. I wonder which machine oil you guys choose to use. And my dealer recommend me use the Motorex because he said if you don't use the Motorex, your RC390 may be broken. Is that really? Or it's just an excuse for promoting Motorex? In my opinion, I want to use the Motul 300V. It's a lot cheaper than the Motorex in Taiwan. In Taiwan, you need to pay double the price of 300V to get Motorex. It seems to be pretty unwise to use the Motorex....... Hope you guys can give me recommendation!

psych0hans

Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm a new owner of RC390 in Taiwan. I wonder which machine oil you guys choose to use. And my dealer recommend me use the Motorex because he said if you don't use the Motorex, your RC390 may be broken. Is that really? Or it's just an excuse for promoting Motorex? In my opinion, I want to use the Motul 300V. It's a lot cheaper than the Motorex in Taiwan. In Taiwan, you need to pay double the price of 300V to get Motorex. It seems to be pretty unwise to use the Motorex....... Hope you guys can give me recommendation!
Your dealer is trying to cheat you... You can use pretty much any engine oil, as long as you buy the correct weight. 300V should not be a problem. People even use oil meant for diesel trucks in their motorcycles with good results - rotella t6 is an example. Good luck!!!

JKBC

When I had the 1,000km service on mine the service department said it's OK if I changed the oil myself for the remainder of the warranty but to use the Motorex and KTM oil filters only to not void the warranty. They didn't mind that I put in a K&N air filter but I guess I won't use the K&N oil filter I also have until the warranty is over. Had I bought the extended warranty I'd do the same. It's not like you'll be changing it often and it doesn't even take 2 full liters of oil. After the first oil change KTM themselves recommend oil changes at 7,500km intervals. Apparently they recommend 15,000km intervals on the big Adventure V-twins. I think I'll change mine more often than that (7,500) though.

MrGrody

When I had the 1,000km service on mine the service department said it's OK if I changed the oil myself for the remainder of the warranty but to use the Motorex and KTM oil filters only to not void the warranty. They didn't mind that I put in a K&N air filter but I guess I won't use the K&N oil filter I also have until the warranty is over. Had I bought the extended warranty I'd do the same. It's not like you'll be changing it often and it doesn't even take 2 full liters of oil. After the first oil change KTM themselves recommend oil changes at 7,500km intervals. Apparently they recommend 15,000km intervals on the big Adventure V-twins. I think I'll change mine more often than that (7,500) though.
Lol I'd run a k&n oil filter (I am now) if bike blows up... put stock filter in before going to dealer problem solved.

Bill Wu

Thanks for you guys' reply. Now I'm not afraid of using Motul 300V. But I think I should use Motorex for the first two years because of the warranty!

Asher

If that's what your dealer is saying then I would never go there again, they are trying to scam you into paying more.
As long as you use oil with the correct JASO/API standard then you should be fine.

JKBC

Lol I'd run a k&n oil filter (I am now) if bike blows up... put stock filter in before going to dealer problem solved.

Well I'd rather not lie. Big deal I bought a KTM oil filter which was around what the K&N cost while I also bought about 5 L's of Motorex which will take me well beyond warranty. They told me also that the recommended change interval after the initial 1,000 kms was 7,500kms or one year...which ever comes first which you may seldom hear elsewhere.

JKBC

Which is exactly what they are doing to you ....

2 wrongs still don't make a right.
So I'm about to be heartbroken by evil KTM?

'Which is exactly what they are doing (lying) to you ....'
...what the?...were talking about what oil and filter a manufacturer wants to be used in their vehicles...and KTM has patterned with Motorex
KTM & Motorex extend their partnership | mxdose.com
...including Motorex offering sponsorship (ie: Money) to RC Cup racers
MOTOREX Offers Sponsorship To All MotoAmerica KTM RC390 Cup Racers
...and you want to tell them to F'off...I'll use Walmart's best.

Last edited:

MrGrody

2 wrongs still don't make a right.
So I'm about to be heartbroken by evil KTM?

'Which is exactly what they are doing (lying) to you ....'
...what the?...were talking about what oil and filter a manufacturer wants to be used in their vehicles...and KTM has patterned with Motorex
KTM & Motorex extend their partnership | mxdose.com
...including Motorex offering sponsorship (ie: Money) to RC Cup racers
MOTOREX Offers Sponsorship To All MotoAmerica KTM RC390 Cup Racers
...and you want to tell them to F'off...I'll use Walmart's best.
No we are talking about a dealer convincing people that a specific brand of oil or filter is the only one allowed. Similar to a dealer telling you they have to always service ur bike. Any brand oil that meets or exceeds specifications will work and not kill the bike.

MrGrody

Also here rc390s come with Rosso II tires. Most likely do to a $ agreement between companies just like those partnerships you mentioned. .

JKBC

No we are talking about a dealer convincing people that a specific brand of oil or filter is the only one allowed. Similar to a dealer telling you they have to always service ur bike. Any brand oil that meets or exceeds specifications will work and not kill the bike.
And most of all we're talking about not voiding your warranty!
They and the evil company require certain specifics. What the F is the big deal!...it isn't like they are asking it for the rest of your life and from their point of view, since they could have various expensive warranty repairs/recalls/etc it really isn't unreasonable at all to want certain oils and things used exclusively in the warranty period.
Oh let's get into religion next shall we...NOT!

MrGrody

And most of all we're talking about not voiding your warranty!
They and the evil company require certain specifics. What the F is the big deal!...it isn't like they are asking it for the rest of your life and from their point of view, since they could have various expensive warranty repairs/recalls/etc it really isn't unreasonable at all to want certain oils and things used exclusively in the warranty period.
Oh let's get into religion next shall we...NOT!
U mad bro? Lol

Bill Wu

Thank you! But my dealer keeps telling me the Motorex has something special which can properly protect the KTM's engine. But I think you guys are right, the dealer just try to make money from the oil..........

OldVet

Your dealer is blowing smoke, had to replace the valves in my 450 exc at 4400 miles using that stuff.

I'm an AMSOIL fan now.