Mounting panniers on my RC390

commandodave

First i searched the forum for suitable panniers & mounting system for my RC390. I came up blank so I bodged a support system for mounting a set of GIVI Silver soft panniers I had laying about the garage. I don't have welding skills, although I eventually would like to re-fabricate the supports out of 3/8" O.D. tubing. I used a piece of 1-1/2" roof edging that was also laying about the garage. It is made out of tin and easily shaped with a pair of snips. I chose the mounting method i used because it required zero alterations to the frame.

Start with a 23" length of angle. This piece will bolt between the rearmost cap screw of the passenger foot mount and the top bolt of the red side reflector. Drill the two holes. Then mount the flashing between the bracket and the reflector.

photo uploading

img host

The GIVI bags are a universal mount with velco hook and loop taps. Remove the pillion seat. I ran the front strap under the plastic bottom half of the pillion, then under the frame rail. You might have to loosen the bottom plastic to insert the strap under it, then re-tighten it. The GIVI bags had a D-ring front and rear. I drilled two matching holes in the flashing and secured the bottom of the bags to the flashing through the D-rings.

image hosting no register

photo upload sites

When I re-fabricate the mounts I will paint them either black or orange depending on the material. Round tube would definitely be orange! The GIVI bags look slightly out of scale for the RC390. If you have to buy a set, you may want to go slightly smaller for looks. But then you are giving up capacity.

I would like to figure out a way to raise the location where the rear of the flashing mounts to the reflector. I would like to have the top of the bag follow the seat line for esthetics.

Last edited:

commandodave

Cross posted from:http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ktm-rc390-parts/556-brackets.html

No, but I am fabricating something similar out of a 3 ft length of 3/8" aluminium tubing I bought at Home Depot for about $8 per side. See this thread for the Mark I version:

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/kt...ussion-forum/478-mounting-panniers-rc390.html

I just picked up the tubing today. Naturally I will not be able to get to work on it for a few weeks. i have to decide whether to bend the tubes as shown in your link, or just run them straight as a direct replacement for the original roof flashing. (Which works very well, thank you!)

I was as the INOA Carolina Rally last week. I took the RC390 as well as my 1960 Model 50 Norton 350cc single. It was very well received. There was a lady there who was riding a 390 Duke. She had a set of the L-Brackes similar to the ones shown in your link. She had to do some serious cutting and welding to get them to fit.