Nearly 1 season racing, how does RC compare to rivals?

Tito_gsx

Interested to hear from racers how RC fares to competition in terms of power, handling, and fun factor. Surely, lots of you racers were previously racing either a ninja or Honda. Ninjas seem to own the grid, R3 is very new and Honda is underpowered.

My Rc is stock and I'm contemplating putting proper suspension (which I estimate will be $2k) and race tires (wheels and tires will be $1k plus). And I should probably get race body work. These mods start adding up fast.... Alternatively, I'm thinking of picking up a ninja 250 race bike which would be near the same amount of the mods mentioned. This way I can learn on sorted race bike and do the odd race or two. If I crash its not the end of the world.

I find the best part about the RC is that its a very fun street bike and can be taken to the track. But if you want race ready you need the proper parts. Any insight is appreciated! For some background, I've had sport bikes for the last ten years, 636 street bike then bought Vesrah Gsxr 750 for the track, then 09 R1. Now I'm back to small displacement (sort of going back in time)

DCMoney

Country flag
I haven't had much time to develope my 390 this season but I ride the piss out of it. Really happy with the way it feels and handles, and its a ton of fun!

Finally broke my 250 lap record time on a track I know well.

Love my 390 but if I were just getting into small bike racing it would be hard pass on some of the really well set up 250s available for not a ton of money, and it wouldn't be too much money or trouble to drop a 300 engine into it and now you've got a little more power.

I sold 3 race ready 250s in the last year year no regrets.

ryandalling

After a full season on the bike, I learned a lot. I went from mid pack on the ninja 250 to back of the lead pack. The bike rocks. I'm at 210 and I've been able to out launch most bikes on the grid. Right now, it's just skill lacking. I finished 4th in the points in one grid and 6th in another.

Track Comparison

I race a modified CBR250 in our endurance race series here in Canada. It has a power commander, JRI shock, done up front suspenion, race tires and bodywork. My RC390 is mostly stock except for a Fuel race exhaust, re-flashed ECU, ABS removal and race tires. The KTM is faster, smoother and an all round better ride on the track. The baby Ninjas that can pass me are ridden by better riders and not because the bikes are better. Next season, I plan to add real rear sets, an aftermarket shock, air filter and some front suspension upgrades. Converting a street RC390 to race specs is a pain in the ass and time consuming. But it is worth it. What would I do....I would still buy a bike already converted to racing. parillaguy

s30series

I race a modified CBR250 in our endurance race series here in Canada. It has a power commander, JRI shock, done up front suspenion, race tires and bodywork. My RC390 is mostly stock except for a Fuel race exhaust, re-flashed ECU, ABS removal and race tires. The KTM is faster, smoother and an all round better ride on the track. The baby Ninjas that can pass me are ridden by better riders and not because the bikes are better. Next season, I plan to add real rear sets, an aftermarket shock, air filter and some front suspension upgrades. Converting a street RC390 to race specs is a pain in the ass and time consuming. But it is worth it. What would I do....I would still buy a bike already converted to racing. parillaguy

Does your fuel exhaust not scrape when making hard right turns?

Rexbo

Country flag
I raced a ninja 250 for 4 years before going to the 390. Here's my opinion of the stack up right now:

Currently its a toss-up between a built CBR300 and the 390. The CBR makes slightly less power but has a more stable chassis (so far) so the lap times are comparable. This may change as people dial in the 390s, since the CBRs have sorta max'd out their capability, and the 390 initial setup has turned out be fairly tricky.

The R3 makes more power than any of the other bikes, and its tough to keep up with it on a straight with the 390 unless in the draft, but it can't corner like the 390 or the CBR. This also may change as their development may continue.

Ninja 300 is just like the 250 with slightly more power, but still less than any of the other little bikes, and the chassis hasn't changed, meaning they're still like riding wet noodles. They're really not competitive any more, but they're for sure the cheapest to race.

So far in CVMA the lap times haven't been heavily dependent on the bike, more so the rider. So really if you have a built KTM, R3 or CBR its mostly up to the riders to make up the time differences, there's no clear class killer right now.

So yeah...

Ryanthegreat1

That is a little surprising about the CBR300. I also have a CB300F (same as CBR300 just less body work and handle bars not clipons) as well and I felt like the forks were made of cheese. They are what 39mm? The brakes on the CB300F are a hell of a lot better than the RC390 and the engine is way smoother and will probably run forever but is WAY down on power.

Rexbo

Country flag
That is a little surprising about the CBR300. I also have a CB300F (same as CBR300 just less body work and handle bars not clipons) as well and I felt like the forks were made of cheese. They are what 39mm? The brakes on the CB300F are a hell of a lot better than the RC390 and the engine is way smoother and will probably run forever but is WAY down on power.

Agreed... but this is built race bike vs built race bike not stock vs stock.