New R390 2017 Owner coming from a 2016 ZX-10R

JeffNoel

Hey guys,

I'm Jeff. I traded my 2016 ZX-10R ABS for a 2017 RC390 ABS last friday.

Still unsure about how I feel... I miss the quickshifter/autoblip a lot already.
It was supposed to be brand new (buying from a remote dealership). When I arrived there, looks like it went in the showroom quite a lot. light scratches on the tank, fairings and windshield. They installed rearsets, engine guards and lever protectors and they're gonna replace my windshield with a new one. When I left the dealership, the battery cover flew away on the highway and I had to go back there to get a new one. Looks like the mechanic forgot to secure it properly.
Claiming the $500 free accessories from the KTM demo ride is a pain in the butt.

I rode about 450 miles on the bike to get back home, trying to stay at a reasonable rev range considering the break-in period. The bike is really nimble ! The stock seat is a pain after 4-5 hours.

While riding, the speedo randomly dropped speed 3 times from ~115km/h to ~80km/h before going back up after releasing the throttle (speed is shown in km/h since I'm in Canada)... anyone experienced something similar beforehand ?

All in all, I'll see what happens as time goes on. I'm still happy with my purchase !

mattv

Country flag
I was a little unsure when I first got the RC 390, too. I've grown to LOVE it.

You can get an aftermarket quickshifter (and a piggyback ecu to help improve the fueling).

KTM makes an "ergo" seat that is a lot more comfortable than the stock one. The material is a little grippy for my taste, though.

You might consider doing this if your battery cover won't latch properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYOVHAv2gK4

I just whack it with my palm to get it to latch.