New RC owner first ride impressions

rompus

I bought my 2016 RC a few weeks ago and picked it up yesterday. A quick background on me, I have been riding street motorcycles since 1978 and have owned many. Unlike many guys my age I prefer sport bikes and was intrigued by the KTM when they first came out . I believe excessive horsepower can be over rated on the street. My personal opinion is that you need no more than 70 hp, although I have owned and do own some with more than that. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger and weighed the good and bad. Based on what I read if this was my only bike and did not own others I would not buy it. Since I have the luxury of other bikes I can ride if she breaks down, I have other options. I realize that is not a glowing endorsement .The first thing I did was take off passenger pegs saved about 5 pounds . I understand that the bike is breaking in so I am taking that into account. My first problem is the handlebars, I feel they are way too wide. On a bike this size you don't need a lot of handlebar leverage to throw it around. Also it sits too upright for me, since I have a Ducati 748 this thing feels very upright. I will be working on making it more race like. God those mirrors are horrendous, they totally take away the sleek look, I will be eliminating them and do something I really don't like and put handlebar mirrors on. I rode today in 40 degree weather and again I know it is breaking in so friction is high but boy it runs hot, SPAL upgrade on the books.The upshifting sucks, a lot of missed gears. I admit I am a lazy shifter and typically don't clutch to upshift but it would not go in 3rd gear easily. I am again assuming it is breaking problems, would love to hear other thoughts, maybe adjust the shift lever, I had to take my foot off the shifter sometimes to get enough force.The tach gauge is really bad, way to small ( I realize i am old but my vision is 20/15),I am going to put a piece of tape at the 7500 breaking in redline to make sure I don't over rev, I am aware I can reconfigure it to change the redline . I took it very easy today, the roads are crappy here in Pennsylvania with stones and stuff because of the weather so I can't evaluate the handling. I wish it had a digital temp reading like my Suzuki. I really like the shift gauge as I am horrible about knowing what gear I am in. Overall I am really excited about thrashing her. My goal is to shave weight off the bike so my list of mods to do is listed.Also anyone in the Lancaster or Philly area hit me up.If there are any upgrades you can recommend let me know.
Mod dream list:
Lithium battery
Werks muffler
Andreani internals
Ohlins rear shock
SPAL fan
Rear sprocket upgrade
Rearsets
Adjustable levers (KTM catalogue very pricey)
Moto America billet chain adjuster
Power Commander
License eliminator
Handlebar Fix
Super Dream List:
Marchesini wheels
Cam upgrade

Last edited:

bkruk

I did most of those mods and more and its like a completely different bike, the suspension and power commander with open airbox and Akrapovich pipe being the biggest differences to the bike. I went with the Driven triple and halo clamp ons and also got rid of the ABS and went with the Brembo master.
Completely agree about smaller HP equals bigger fun!
BTW my dream list is the same as yours :rolleyes:
Enjoy!

stevieboy

Country flag
How old is old? I'm 62. Right now I have the KTM and a Yamaha FZR600. Looking at a Derbi GPR50/80 and or getting my Aprilia RS125 back.

MotoKam

Make the fan upgrade on your list #1.

My RC overheated 3 times and turned off. I'm fairly confident this led to a piston failure that left my boot covered in oil and me by the side of the road for a fourth time.

Mod #2, KTM's ergo seat. I'm old, too. That extra bit of padding makes staying in the saddle for four to six hours a day no problem.

Cheers!

Treachery

Country flag
Great first post. Welcome. I'm going to go hunt, but if you've got a link to the chain adjuster, post it up.

CDN Duke

Country flag

rompus

Great first post. Welcome. I'm going to go hunt, but if you've got a link to the chain adjuster, post it up.
I tried posting the link but it is still under review, did not realize links are subject to it. It is on ebay under RC 390 precision chain adjuster blocks

randy

Rompus;
I'm usually on the 390 duke forum but saw your post . I live in Leola so not to far from you. Previous bike to the duke was a GSXR600 and I found it to be more power than I needed for fun. Bought the duke because it's lighter than the RC and I didn't want the complexity of the fairings. I did the Spal fan and engine ice. It definitely runs cooler and the fan is much quieter and runs shorter times. I also installed orange silicone hoses but don't think they are worth the trouble. I got extendable, and folding levers on ebay for about 30/35$ (China) and they are very nice (no slop after tightening bolts). Can really recommend them. I'm in the process of doing the Yamaha R6 rear shock right now.
Do you go to the First Sunday meet at Ephrata?

rompus

Hey Randy yes I try to get to Ephrata if I can remember. I already bought the hoses so I might as well put them on.

Diploman

Rompus,
Welcome to the 390 community. You are right, smaller is more fun, especially for older moto veterans like myself. I have a 2015 Duke and live in Murrysville PA, just east of Pittsburgh. Your comments about the wintertime condition of PA roads is right on target - lots of sand, cinders and loose gravel, not to mention potholes and frost heaves. And in my area, prolific deer in the early morning and evening.

Your upgrade list is extensive and hard to argue with. But I would like to suggest a couple of additions. The 390's ByBre front brake is a rather weak point as delivered. You will want to improve it before you go racing or serious street riding. A set of HH sintered pads from one of the major suppliers (Brembo, EBC, SBS, et al) will make a major improvement in bite and lowered lever effort. A Galfer 320mm rotor will provide further improvement, and a 15mm radial MC (Brembo RCS or Frando) will improve matters still more. The ByBre caliper really is quite good when paired with improved components. The front brake can be easily upgraded to a high-performing state. Some racers eliminate the ABS for the ultimate in power and feel, but I would not advise this for street riding. Even though the ABS does create some loss of feedback, for most riding situations it is undeniably an asset.

The SPAL fan is a must-have: Lighter, more powerful, more efficient and vastly more reliable than the OEM shrouded fan. Eliminates cooling problems or worries.

Crashes have shown that the 390's OEM brake and shift levers typically are subject to damage that makes them unusable subsequently. To preclude such problems I suggest you procure some Chinese levers off Ebay - levers with detachable toe pieces - then substitute some folding Woodcraft toe pieces for the Chinese parts. This produces levers that are far less likely to be damaged in a crash.

rompus

Rompus,
Welcome to the 390 community. You are right, smaller is more fun, especially for older moto veterans like myself. I have a 2015 Duke and live in Murrysville PA, just east of Pittsburgh. Your comments about the wintertime condition of PA roads is right on target - lots of sand, cinders and loose gravel, not to mention potholes and frost heaves. And in my area, prolific deer in the early morning and evening.

Your upgrade list is extensive and hard to argue with. But I would like to suggest a couple of additions. The 390's ByBre front brake is a rather weak point as delivered. You will want to improve it before you go racing or serious street riding. A set of HH sintered pads from one of the major suppliers (Brembo, EBC, SBS, et al) will make a major improvement in bite and lowered lever effort. A Galfer 320mm rotor will provide further improvement, and a 15mm radial MC (Brembo RCS or Frando) will improve matters still more. The ByBre caliper really is quite good when paired with improved components. The front brake can be easily upgraded to a high-performing state. Some racers eliminate the ABS for the ultimate in power and feel, but I would not advise this for street riding. Even though the ABS does create some loss of feedback, for most riding situations it is undeniably an asset.

The SPAL fan is a must-have: Lighter, more powerful, more efficient and vastly more reliable than the OEM shrouded fan. Eliminates cooling problems or worries.

Crashes have shown that the 390's OEM brake and shift levers typically are subject to damage that makes them unusable subsequently. To preclude such problems I suggest you procure some Chinese levers off Ebay - levers with detachable toe pieces - then substitute some folding Woodcraft toe pieces for the Chinese parts. This produces levers that are far less likely to be damaged in a crash.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been on the fence about ABS, in theory it seems to make sense, but none of my big bore bikes have it and I have never run into problems except for rear wheel lockup. I have an R6 shock and Werks pipe both bought off members of the forum.I also have the SPAL fan and the Samco hose kit. I am debating for now if I should get the fork springs or the Adriani drop in. Of course the Adriani is ideal and if I was doing a lot of track days would consider it. It comes down to money right now.

Last edited:

Diploman

Rompus, Re: the Werkes exhaust. This is an attractive, lightweight unit which has gained a spotty reputation because, as delivered, it is intolerably loud. Many 390 owners have bought the Werkes with high expectations and ended up selling it because of its lack of sound dampening. Recently, however, there have been some successful and promising efforts at civilizing the Werkes. Use this forum's search function to find threads on this topic. The weight savings are impressive, and if you can tame the raucous exhaust note, it's a winner.

CDN Duke

Country flag
I am debating for now if I should get the fork springs or the Adriani drop in. Of course the Adriani is ideal and if I was doing a lot of track days would consider it. It comes down to money right now.

Having recently had my forks apart, I'd say this comes down to how much time/inclination you have to do the work to tune manually vs having knobs to adjust... Cartridge kit is $575 and is adjustable once installed. Springs are $100 but you need to disassemble to adjust preload, change oil for dampening etc. I expect most with cartridges adjust until they get to a state they like and for the most part leave it there... If you have the time and ability to do this manually, do the springs. For myself, I'll stick with the manual method for now as I learn and get better at tuning them myself. And I'm saving a few hundred $ at the same time...

rompus

Rompus, Re: the Werkes exhaust. This is an attractive, lightweight unit which has gained a spotty reputation because, as delivered, it is intolerably loud. Many 390 owners have bought the Werkes with high expectations and ended up selling it because of its lack of sound dampening. Recently, however, there have been some successful and promising efforts at civilizing the Werkes. Use this forum's search function to find threads on this topic. The weight savings are impressive, and if you can tame the raucous exhaust note, it's a winner.

The reason it was sold was because it was too loud in the sellers opinion. I guess I will see, I have seen some vids and they don;t seem that loud. Harley riders in my area have straight pipes that are much louder than a 377cc thumper!

rompus

Having recently had my forks apart, I'd say this comes down to how much time/inclination you have to do the work to tune manually vs having knobs to adjust... Cartridge kit is $575 and is adjustable once installed. Springs are $100 but you need to disassemble to adjust preload, change oil for dampening etc. I expect most with cartridges adjust until they get to a state they like and for the most part leave it there... If you have the time and ability to do this manually, do the springs. For myself, I'll stick with the manual method for now as I learn and get better at tuning them myself. And I'm saving a few hundred $ at the same time...

At this point it's more about the money, so I will probably go with springs and 7W oil.Curious how you adjust the preload with the springs out, whaddup with that?

CDN Duke

Country flag
Preload is managed through the use of spacers.

OE RC390 spring is 345mm in length. After market springs are shorter, so right off the bat, you'll be putting in a longer spacer. You can fine tune the preload with different length spacers.