New rider, RC390 first street bike

Conissah

Hello everyone, new rider here from North Carolina, USA. Picked up a used 2017 RC390 from the dealer 2 weekends ago, and finally had to chance to go pick her up and ride. I have ~15 years of experience on 2 wheels on the dirt, but I'm new to the street. Put in a solid 140 miles this weekend, just around town and to get food. Loving the bike so far. I only have 2 pictures of the bike, mainly because I didn't want to get off! Plan on doing an oil change soon since I don't know when the last one was done and it's at 3600 miles. Excited to ride more before it gets too cold to do so!

PtF1AoF.jpg

pmjOLvZ.jpg

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Welcome to the forum and the RC! You'll love the thing to bits. :) You'll find most of the RC owners are of a similar age and experience levels are all over the map, but most have a lot of time in the saddle. The 390 is considerably different from the other 300's in regard to the owners. Most 300 riders are kids or first time bike owners... where as the typical RC rider has a bit of grey in their beard. Depending on your weight you will likely want to look at upgrading the suspension. There are budget options (R6 or R1 shock swap but with the 17+ bikes the catalytic converter is in the way and needs the full exhaust changed out or that section of exhaust replaced) for the rear and springs for the front (very good option for street and/or occasional trackday), or you could go with something like a JRi shock on the rear and K-Tech or Andreani cartridges if you are looking for something more pointed toward lots of track duty. When you've got enough confidence in it, and start dragging footpegs, there are also options for rearsets, clipons, steering damper (rider weight largely predicts how useful this can be), etc. Looks like the previous owner already did you the favor of swapping out the horrendous stock rear fender and put an eliminator on it. There's other things like axle sliders, carbon fiber, levers, airbox mod & PCv, et cetera. :) Lots of fun ways to farkle the bike up and make it your own!

Happy riding, and again, welcome! :)

Conissah

I'm a smooth 165 pounds, the suspension seems to be well suited, as least from the few corners I got some nice lean in. I'm already looking into exhausts and PCV, as well as a 16T front sprocket, since I will be hitting the interstates. I would love to hit the track, but I obviously want more experience on 2 wheels before going. My brother has a full track spec CBR1000RR so I would have someone to go with. We will see though, I haven't ridden in 2 days and I already miss it. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Drstimpy

Elite Member
Country flag
Welcome!
If you are the right weight for the stock suspension… Ride!
If you’re going to put in the power commander, while the bike is apart, you might as well mount up the quick shifter too...and change the battery...and get rid of the catalyst...and put on rearsets...and get a second set of wheels for the track...
Oh, that’s me! Think I need a nap!
PS. The battery cover sucks until you put a stronger spring or some rubber band reinforcement on the latch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If you are at 165 IN FULL UP GEAR, then yeah, you're in the ballpark. Of course, the bike comes stock with progressive springs, so NOBODY is going to be "correct" because no matter what your weight is, you'll always have 1/3rd of your suspension outside of your weight range... Lighter riders certainly have it easier than heavier folks, as us big guys are constantly up against the stops with the stock suspension. Being lighter, you'll be using the first 2/3rds of the suspension travel, and the last 3rd will be useless for you unless you hit the hardest of bumps/potholes. The downside is that you basically hit a "hard stop" before you are at full travel as the springs rate stops you earlier. The progressive springs are there to allow for a wide array of rider weights.

LOL, the battery cover sucks. Period. It's the bane of my existence in regards to the steering damper kit.

Conissah

The 165 is clothed, but no gear. I only put 150 miles on the bike, so I haven't really had too much time to feel the bike out. I was already looking into an R6 rear shock, and possibly doing upgrading the front forks, but for now I just want to ride. I would like to hit the track at some point so these will probably be upgrades once I graduate. Next up is definitely an exhaust though, and possibly a 16T front sprocket like previously mentioned.

As far as the battery cover goes, I saw a video where someone actually cut a few links out of the spring to make it stronger, and it seemed to work well. I've only had to cover off to add an alarm to the bike, but it worked well. I'm sure at some point it will fail though.

John390

I also just bought a new RC390! absolutely love it!

its still in the box at the dealer. Going to be PDI'd on Tuesday morning. I am having a huge problem with waiting this long. oh man...