Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
OK, at long last, as requested and by popular demand, we can now offer the two new street tails. All four accept the OEM LED Tail lights, are all in stock and ready to ship!!!

The four new variants are as follows...
GP Tail - Street - Carbon - $335:
BPFS-0142-1.jpg

GP Tail - Street - Fiberglass - $186:
BPFS-0141-1.jpg

Passenger Seat Replacement - Carbon - $206:
BPCT-7231.jpg

and Passenger Seat Replacement - Fiberglass - $100:
BPFT-7231.jpg

All are available on the Formula390 website at:
Formula390 - Parts

bkruk is bang on this Tyga carbon is the stuff- I would post a shot of the rear of mine also but it is sporting a Yoshi pipe so might not be in good taste- but the fitment and look of the new carbon passenger seat is top notch

HardknockGarage

How does the GP tail foam compare with the stock seat for comfort?

I don't expect the foam to be more comfortable but how much more uncomfortable is it?

Would you recommend the race tail with lights for a street bike that sees a track day or two a month and 150 mile weekend street rides every other weekend?

I've had track bikes with cheap foam seats on superbike style tails years ago and i loved the feedback for the track. The stock seat seems pretty stiff with mediocre feedback wondering if it would be a good trade off?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
How does the GP tail foam compare with the stock seat for comfort?

I don't expect the foam to be more comfortable but how much more uncomfortable is it?

Would you recommend the race tail with lights for a street bike that sees a track day or two a month and 150 mile weekend street rides every other weekend?

I've had track bikes with cheap foam seats on superbike style tails years ago and i loved the feedback for the track. The stock seat seems pretty stiff with mediocre feedback wondering if it would be a good trade off?

So I feel like "comfort" is a subjective variable, which is different for each individual rider.

Much like firmness of a bed. My wife and I have one of those sleep number beds. She keeps her side practically flat, at a number of 25. You can look over and see toes, nose, and nipples sticking up from the depression in the bed. My side, I always thought I preferred a soft bed, but the softer I made it, the more I hurt like hell in the AM. So I started going the other way from 50, to 60, to 70... on up. I keep mine now at 95!!! Feels practically like a sheet of steel when I first lay down on it, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work WAY better for while I'm asleep and when I wake up. How does this relate to the seat foam for the tails... well, it's firmer than the stock padding. I also doesn't yield so much that you end up with the bony bits of ones arse poking at the hard plastic of the seat base. So, which is better. That's for the individual rider to decide. You won't end up with the "hot spots" like one does (or at least I do) with the stock seat. It's also different from the KTM Power Parts cushy old man seat as well. I haven't sat on that one myself, so I can't say how it compares.

Something some racers have done is ordered 2 (or even 3!!!) of the pads and stuck one on top of the other, to get more cush, while at the same time still having the feedback from the chassis. Will you find it better. I dunno. That's for each rider to decide. If you liked the feedback you'd like the tyga foam pad. If you can do 150 miles in a day on the stock seat, you could certainly do it on the GP Pad as well. I find the stock seat was just this side of unbearable comfort wise... but that's because of the aforementioned "hotspots" problem. I'm a proud member of the Big Boys club tho, clocking in at 220# (NOT in gear) so am certainly at the upper bounds of what the seat was ever designed to withstand. The GP tail is damn nice. So is the passenger seat replacement tho too, as I feel it gives me a bit more feedback from the chassis with having something firmer to connect my keister to when I'm leaned off... so honestly, it's totally personal preference.

I will say, the seat pads are high quality stuff. Nothing like the cheap foam I used to run on my racebikes of the past which usually only lasted a season before it looked so trashed I had to tear it off and put down a fresh one.

HardknockGarage

Thanks for the informative reply!

I don't mind a stiff seat too much, its those hot spots your speak of. I can't recall riding any other bike that the stock seat felt relatively soft to the touch and yet after 30 min or so was so uncomfortable. I would figure a race tail foam pad couldn't be that much worse...I guess if i'm going to be uncomfortable i might as well get something out of it.

I'll probably give it a go. Thanks again for the reply.

green_bread

Country flag
Comfort isn't a word that can be used in a description of the race tail. I've come out of race weekends feeling like it bruised my tailbone.... seriously. After a bit, you kind of get used to it but I would love to have the comfort of the stock seat back, if that gives you any idea of the "comfort" of the race seat.

Endorphin

Wow, that's terrible. Do you have the one pad or two stacked up?

EDIT: Seems to be why the KTM solo seat has a cutout there? Installing one of the butt pads would help, wouldn't it?

Last edited: