New suspension bits and race report...

ryandalling

I just got the bike back from Barry at GP Suspension / KFG Racing... link below.... and the bike felt wonderful. I dropped two teeth in the rear sprocket going to a 43 from the 45... I may end up going back up a tooth but not sure.
We shipped the rear shock to Penske and they used it to build me a double clicker with remote reservoir and ride height adjustment. We installed it at stock height and then went up a bit. The bike wallows a bit in corners and this cured that. He used the forks to build a cartridge kit and it is simply amazing. The bike glues into the turns with trail braking to the apex. I picked up a 6th place on Saturday in a 10 lap sprint race. Sunday I had 4 races. Starting with a full 24 lap GP race. The bike get insane launches on the start and I diced it out for a great 3rd place podium finish. Then the next race was another sprint race, 6 laps, I came in 6th but was in the lead pack the whole race. Then another 10 lap sprint with not a lot of down time. This race was with bigger bikes, trying to fight up a notch or two. I ended up getting a little bold and tried an outside 4 wide pass and ran out of track. Wrecked the bike with an easy low side in the grass. Bike slid all the way to the tire wall. Lost the brake lever and the brake pedal. Need to do the abs removal. Soft brakes did me in. Too hot and not enough to scrub the speed off.

Attachments

• IMG_7236.jpg
    IMG_7236.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 1,176
  • IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_7240.jpg
    IMG_7240.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 249

Fasteddy

Country flag
I got the research / sponsor discount. Call Barry and ask what the Red Cup Racing referral discount price is from Ryan Dalling. (I'll ping him and ask.)

Were those the production forks modifed are the WP aftermarkets? Nice work on going to the podium! too bad about the broke parts....

Fasteddy

ryandalling

In order to stay in the supersport class, I have to use the stock forks, but I can do anything inside the tubes. These are the street, non cup forks with no adjustment modified with cartridges inside and fully adjustable caps.

emeglasson

Congrats on the race weekend; Sorry to hear about the slide. I'm glad to hear you like the KFG parts; I have been in contact with them considering buying the same kit; they told me they were pretty excited about the parts they were developing for your bike. I think I'll spring for it.

btw...if you have trouble getting a replacement brake pedal, I'd be happy to loan you mine if you really need one for an upcoming race. I wont 'need' mine until the first week of June.

Last edited:

ryandalling

Right now it looks like $1199 with two sets of springs. Don't forget to mention Red Cup Racing. :)

My next race will be late June, so I am hoping I can get a part before that as I seem to have time.

Rocketracer11

I just got the bike back from Barry at GP Suspension / KFG Racing... link below.... and the bike felt wonderful. I dropped two teeth in the rear sprocket going to a 43 from the 45... I may end up going back up a tooth but not sure.
We shipped the rear shock to Penske and they used it to build me a double clicker with remote reservoir and ride height adjustment. We installed it at stock height and then went up a bit. The bike wallows a bit in corners and this cured that. He used the forks to build a cartridge kit and it is simply amazing. The bike glues into the turns with trail braking to the apex. I picked up a 6th place on Saturday in a 10 lap sprint race. Sunday I had 4 races. Starting with a full 24 lap GP race. The bike get insane launches on the start and I diced it out for a great 3rd place podium finish. Then the next race was another sprint race, 6 laps, I came in 6th but was in the lead pack the whole race. Then another 10 lap sprint with not a lot of down time. This race was with bigger bikes, trying to fight up a notch or two. I ended up getting a little bold and tried an outside 4 wide pass and ran out of track. Wrecked the bike with an easy low side in the grass. Bike slid all the way to the tire wall. Lost the brake lever and the brake pedal. Need to do the abs removal. Soft brakes did me in. Too hot and not enough to scrub the speed off.

Suspension parts look great! Quick off top question for ya, what have you done with your side stand bypass? I'm assuming you have it off for racing. Right now I have mine pulled and I have the little magnet semi connected with some glue and duct tape. Not ideal to say the least but functional for the moment. Thanks, cheers Aj

mr-fabricator

Great race results for you and the ktm ,

Been waiting for a cartridge kit to be developed so will ping them a mail and get saving ..

can i ask what weight u and the bike are . ?

Regards lee

ryandalling

Here is my official race report that I send to my sponsors....

Fun race weekend with great stories to tell and retell.

Saturday, in LW SS I had some great battles with Alex. I’d get him on the straights, he’d get me on the brakes, and sometimes we’d swap in the corners too. Near the end, I setup to pass him on the outside of T9, as I adjusted my line to come around him, Mike on his SV, decided to join the pass as well. Our lines converged and we hit each other pretty hard. We both held our lines, despite the contact, and finished the corner safely. He looked back to make sure I wasn’t down and then we both kept racing. Both bikes had some scars but it just added some excitement to the corner, cause, you know, “rubbing is racing.” We laughed about it later. Trust me, this story will be retold with great embellishment over drinks in the future. 6[SUP]th[/SUP] place finish.

Sunday in the UL GP race I got an awesome launch and was battling with the leaders T1-T4, I tried to make a 3 wide pass in T4 and ended up standing it up in the grass, only having just slightly been gapped by the leaders. As this was still lap one of a twenty-four lap races, I got back into things and settled in. I spent a lot of this race learning the bike, but I was in between packs. Alex and Jacob were there, but I could never gain on them. Thankfully, I saw Jed on the front wall giving me lap indicators and the 3, 2, 1 provided were very heart warming. I was tired. I finished in third place and received my first podium on the RC390. Woo hoo!!

The UL SS morning race had Jay, Jerry, Valentine, and I battling it out in most laps. I teamed up with Jay to get some good drafts till we caught Valentine and then madness in the corners as we duked it out. As high as 4[SUP]th[/SUP] place and as low as 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. It was an amazing battle. I timed my final pass poorly and eased off a bit too much in T9 to be able to get the slingshot pass by the checker and ended in 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. Fun racing.

LW SB started well and I was battling with Jay for much of the first half of the race. Lap 4, I started feeling the rear skip around, I think all that heat was getting to it. Lap 6, I came into T1 hot trying to gain on Jay, got really close to the rumble strips on the outside, and then the rear stepped out on me. This stood the bike up when it caught and launched me into the grass. At this point I was aimed right at the tire wall on the outside of T2, I scrubbed speed but had nowhere to go and had to decide if I wanted to nose first into the tires or try something drastic. So, I lowsided the bike and slid sideways right up to the tires. Broke the brake lever and the brake pedal. I tried to wave off the corner workers as they all came running to my aid, but they wanted to say hello and make sure I wasn’t hiding any injuries. I was able to ride it back to the pits, but unable to continue the day. No spares.

I missed the UL SS afternoon race as I was missing brakes.

All around great racing. Thanks to KFG for getting me an amazing bike setup that has shaved seconds off my time. Pirelli tires. Woodcraft. EDR. Bell Helmets. Sidi Boots. MotoSport Hillsboro. GoPro. Virus. Forcefield Armor. The cornerworkers for helping us be safe. Alex, Jay, Jerry, and Valentine for the great racing. Mike for being a good sport about T9. Special thanks to Julie, for accepting that my hobby is sometimes scary and letting me do it anyway.